Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please help to identify a weire piece of truss rod

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dooft11, May 10, 2005.

1. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    Dear all, i just find an antique looking MIJ bass in the garage, look cool, so i wanna to give it a fix, when i removed the neck from the body i see the truss rod layout as shown in the pic, which is a bit new to me, please help me out about the operation method. the neck is now in bad up bow situation thanks bros.

Mod edit: please respect all TB'ers.

Attached Files:

2. dooft11

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    bump! really need some advise

3. I haven't seen this particular version before but it makes sense in a backwards, Japanese, early 60's, sort of way :)

What they've done is put the bar after the nut so that, as the nut is tightened and the rod is pulled back through towards the back of the neck, it is bracing itself against the rear of the cavity. So what you are doing is essentially sliding the neck from the trussrod nut up, along the length of the trussod. Our version just lets the adjustment end of the rod float free but this works similiarly. It could have something to do with the fact that this neck appears to be shaped something like a set neck on an acoustic with the vertical support perpendicular to the fretboard (I don't know what it's called).

4. dooft11

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    Thanks J and Hambones.. i know TB is the place to go. Although i am not completly understand the explanation of Mr.Bone, shall i say that if i want to get the neck back to straight, i shall tighten the nuts which is going towards the turner side?
    Thanks again for all your help :)

5. Yes, despite the weird look, I'm pretty sure this TR works like any other. You would tighten the nut on the rod to straighten the neck. It sure doesn't look like you could back it off any - that's a lot of overspray on the threads there!

6. dooft11

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    thanks Hambone, and Mr.J