1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Please help with a new pickup for this Clement Fretless

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jibreel, Aug 14, 2012.

1. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Just picked up this amazing Clement fretless bass. Passive SD quarter pound pickup. Great pickup but way to hot and bright. Especially as this is bridge pickup position only on this bass.

I am looking for something much more fat/fuller with more bass and mids. Warm/acoustic oriented. Vintage but not muted. Opposite from Michael Manring bright fretless sound.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Clement3.

2. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Bartolini 9SU-L.

3. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Me thinks you are right !!

What about hum cancelling ?

- These are single coil units with strong lows and low mids. When used together they will have very low hum and noise levels. The tone of these pickups is deeper than vintage pickups; their strength is in the lows and low mids. The Neck and Bridge coils are equal as in the original Fender pair. Using either Neck or Bridge pickup alone will result in some hum and noise. -Our single coils are quieter than traditional single coils but not quiet enough to be recommended for use with electronics.
    9SU- pair S/L

9J1 - pair S/L split coil construction for hum canceling -deep tone - strong lows and low-mids

These are hum-canceling duel in-line coil designs.

The 9J1 has bright Neck tone and deep Bridge tone. The #1 windings yield much more "growl" from the Bridge pickup. They are very similar to our old 94J pickups, just ever so slightly brighter at the bridge.
    9J1 - L (long / treble) Just the Bridge pickup for use with one of our P-Bass* pickups (models 8S or 8SU) as a P-J pair. Order the #1 option as 9J-L1

4. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Me thinks you are right !!