1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please help with a quick question about silk on strings going past the nut

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jim11895, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Jim11895

Jim11895

Dec 10, 2009
    Atlanta
    I did a quick search but came up with nothing. I decided to replace the tapewound LaBellas on my Carvin AC50F with conventional flatwound strings. The AC50F has through-body string loading, and when the string is tuned properly, the silk winding protrudes about 1/4-inch past the nut over on to the fretboard side of the nut. I have only replaced the A-string so far, and when I saw this I thought I should hold off on putting the rest of the set on until I got some input from some of the experts on TB. FWIW, the string sounds fine to my ears, despite the silk winding resting on the nut.

Will this dampen sustain? The AC50F is a fretless and with flatwounds there is not a whole lot of "zing" to begin with. Any insights are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jim

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yeah you need to get longer strings. they won't sound right if they taper before the nut.

3. Jim11895

Jim11895

Dec 10, 2009
    Atlanta
    they actually don't taper before the nut. but the silk winding is far enough down the string to go just a quarter-inch or so past the nut. I did end up putting all the strings on, and they are all like that. They still sound a little brighter than the tapewounds (relatively speaking), which is what I was after.

4. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    Is that a 35" scale? I had the LaBella tapes on my old Jazz Deluxe and the silk was beyond the nut.

[​IMG]

5. soulman969

soulman969 Banned

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    You should use a longer scale string especially if it's a 35" scale string through. I would think the silk would bind in the nut and give you tuning issues as well as deaden the sound.

Check with Jason at bassstringsonline.com for a recommendation on a set of flats that would be a better fit for that bass.