please help with broke(?) swr 10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by evilgoat, Jun 14, 2002.

1. evilgoat

Feb 21, 2002
    i'm sorry if this is a stupid thread, and i usually never post because it seems that everyone here knows way more than i do. the problem is, i bought a used swr workingman's 10 and the 1x10 cab. i've had it about 2 months with no problems, but i never hooked up the cab because the book says you need a speaker cable 18 gauge or heavier, not a regular instrument cable. actually i shouldn't say that i have had no problems.. because i noticed a slight distortiony sound coming from the amp when i listened really carefully about a week ago. i figured this was due to the terrible electronics on bass.

well, today i went and got a monster standard 100 speaker cable. after i hooked it up. i only played for less than 10 minutes before the sound completely went out and there was a loud buzzing. i turned everything off and unplugged the cab, and when i turned it back on, still no sounds from the bass, and still a loud buzzing from teh amp. i tried different cables and different basses, so the problem is definitely the amp. also, the volume was less than half, so i can't imagine that i played it so loud that it burned out or blew out or whatever you call it.

i guess it could be many things, but i just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas or similar problems. i really know almost zero about the electronics of amps and stuff, and have no idea what i should even do. i guess i will have to bring it to a guitar place, and pray that it is something that can be fixed. thanks for you help, and i'm sorry for this annoying post (i did try searching first).
  2. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Sorry your amp is toasted. I also have a WM 10 and a 10t. I managed to fry mine as well but I was playing outside on the deck in the sun without the extension cab and I got carried away with the volume. I took it back to the dealer; they sent it to SWR and even though it was several years old they covered the part (speaker) under warranty. I only had to pay for the labor. With this setup, always use the extension cab. Yours needs repair by an experienced person. Good Luck!
  3. evilgoat

Feb 21, 2002
    thanks for the help, but ****, that's terrible news. especially since i bought it used and don't have any warranty. that really sucks. barely got any use out of it at all either.
  4. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

Wait a got an extension cab for a SWR WM 10" combo, right? Ok, it was working fine before you hooked up the ext. cab, but when you hooked up the other 10", the combo blew up? I don't understand how that could be...unless the ext. cab you were using was a 4 ohm cab and the combo could only handle an extra 8 ohm cab.
  5. evilgoat

Feb 21, 2002
    yeah, i don't know how that could be either. they are both 8 ohms. and swr recommends the 1x10 T for the swr 10, so it shouldn't have been a problem. I guess it was just a coincidence that it happened right then. (but a big coincidence to happen right after i hook it up for the first time). I can't think of any other explanation. I guess i will have to bring it to a Guitar Center (ech), and get ripped off there, because i don't know of any other places that i would be able to trust.