Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

please help with music book question

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by newbass, Sep 2, 2003.

1. newbass

newbass

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Hello! I've been looking for a comprehensive(and when I say comprehensive I mean comprehensive) book or possibly books on music theory. Preferably college or beyond level info on harmony, voice leading, apogguritas(?), etc.

Please suggest some books. They can't be too advanced, but they can be too remedial. Please help!!! Thanks!

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    If you're talking about traditional theory, I like the textbook, Tonal Harmony by Stefan Kostka and Dorothy Payne. It has that great mix of being user friendly and very comprehensive at the same time, and both the text and the workbook come with CDs of many of the musical examples illustrated in the text. I use now because I'm required to, but before I was required to, I used it by choice to replace the Walter Piston text, which many (myself included) find antiquated and stuffy.

3. Dondi

Dondi

May 3, 2003
    NYC
    If you insist on torturing yourself with that type of music theory, which is based on the original teaching of a Mr. Fux in the 1600's
    I'd point to the counterpoint text by a Mr. Schacter thats used all over the eastern U.S.
    Or you can call any prominent music conservatory and see what they use for their harmony and counterpoint students. I believe that the publisher is Norton.
    P.S. If you want to have a more complete training, you should also get "A New Approach to Sight-Singing" (Kraft/Berkowitz/Frontrier). It will take you through most of the undergraduate studies that many music schools/conservatoryies use for their students. It will help make you a great sight-reader. Good luck.