1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Please help with my pedal chain order!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Twocan, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Twocan

Twocan Living the Dream

Oct 5, 2009
    MA
    I would appreciate your input (with explanation why) on the order of the following pedals:

Boss Tu-2 (first obviously)
    Sansamp VT Bass (for tone, not dirt)
    MXR Phase 90
    MXR M-88 Bass Octave
    BBE Opto Stomp Compressor

Mainly, my concern is over the compressor - to date, I've always had it last in the chain to smooth out any spikes. I see others putting it first. My playing style is mostly funk with some slap going on.

Thanks.

2. famousbirds

famousbirds

Aug 3, 2009
    Honolulu
    TU-2
    Optostomp
    VT
    Octave
    Phase 90

It's all about feeding each pedal correctly. Tuner likes a nice clean signal. My VT didn't like having a octave going into it - it was set up to EQ my bass, not the sub (which didn't need any EQ). Didn't notice any issue in tracking. Phase 90 at the end is the obvious choice (since it will have the most dramatic effect when you engage it) but other places could work.

About compressors: it really depends on what you're using it for. My bass (G&L with single/parallel/series switches) can have some pretty dramatic variance in output, so I use a compressor first to level out volume without affecting tone. That way, I never have to touch the gain knob on my overdrive, since it is always being fed a constant signal.

Now, if you want to level out volume jumps caused by effects, you may want to place it at the end of the chain. If you are using it to fatten up your sound, beginning might make more sense. Only one way to find out! ;)

3. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

BASS > Boss Tu-2 > MXR M-88 Bass Octave > MXR Phase 90 > BBE Opto Stomp Compressor > Sansamp VT Bass > AMP

4. Stretchhh

Stretchhh

Jan 10, 2012
    WA, Australia
    I put my compressor before the tuner unless the tuner is on just to avoid colouring tone from the tuners bypass. The rest of this path is how I would have it, maybe try the VT at the end as well to see how it goes as it is definitely about how your using it.

5. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    experiment

yah try compression early in the chain, since you use VT for EQ try putting it at end of chain, otherwise tone controls on amps work good for that too

6. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    In general I would say using a stomp box compressor after a pedal like the VT Bass may not be the best choice. It's probably designed for an instrument level signal. The VT Bass is capable of line level output and that may cause the compressor to either overload or not work as expected. This goes the same for any pedal after the VT Bass.

You just need to take a little care with your gain staging and make sure each pedal is behaving properly. If you are using this setup into the front end of an amp, try to set the output of the VT Bass for unity gain. This means that you have the same signal level when bypassed as when the pedal is engaged.

7. Twocan

Twocan Living the Dream

Oct 5, 2009
    MA
    That's exactly what I'm doing: VT at the same volume, just adding warmth to my sound. So far, what is working best is:
    TU2
    VT Bass
    Opto Stomp
    Octave
    Phaser

8. Octaves like nice clean input. Putting distortion on top of octave gets spacey really quickly.

9. Meh. A fuzz in front of my Micro POG and later, my POG2 only made a slight tonal difference. Experiment!

10. Sorry, SOME octaves like a very clean signal.