please help with my tap technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by themajorrager, Jun 26, 2005.

1. well for years i have been tapping and have always tapped the fretboard in between the frets - exactly where you would fret a note with your fretting hand. is this right? or are you supposed to tap on top of the actual fret(i mean the metal strip)
    the reason i ask is beacause i recently questioned the usefulness of a 48 fret bass i saw in the BG thread (the distance between the last 10 or so frets is about 2 or 3 millimeters) and received some abuse from a fellow TBer. i had asked what use the last 10 frets could have as you wouldnt be able to fret between them or tap between them - so i asked if you were supposed to tap on top of the actual fret? :eyebrow:
  2. timo

May 31, 2005
    Halifax, UK
    Yeah saw that. I tap just behind the fret, where you'd put you're finger if you were playing normally. That Ritter was wierd. Maybe you'd press with you're fingernail or something. The 30th+ frets are just silly
  3. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    48 frets no way dude :eyebrow:
  4. youre right - i was guessing when i said 48 i went back and counted the no. of frets - there are actually 40! not quite 48 but still!!! :eyebrow:
  5. Originally Posted by Frank Martin
    Uhmm... maybe you should check the Technique forums and your technique (maybe even consult a teacher) in general before you come here and talk sh!t. Thank you.

i think that qualifies as "abuse"!?!?
    but lets not concentrate on the negativity of some users :)
  6. As long as it sounds right, who cares who criticizes your technique? If I do tapping, I usually hit right on the fret because it seems easier. I guess just because you don't have to push the string as far down, but just a light tap to strike it against the fret. But, that's just me...