Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

please help with my tap technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by themajorrager, Jun 26, 2005.

1. well for years i have been tapping and have always tapped the fretboard in between the frets - exactly where you would fret a note with your fretting hand. is this right? or are you supposed to tap on top of the actual fret(i mean the metal strip)
    the reason i ask is beacause i recently questioned the usefulness of a 48 fret bass i saw in the BG thread (the distance between the last 10 or so frets is about 2 or 3 millimeters) and received some abuse from a fellow TBer. i had asked what use the last 10 frets could have as you wouldnt be able to fret between them or tap between them - so i asked if you were supposed to tap on top of the actual fret? :eyebrow:
    :help:
    thanks

2. timo

timo

May 31, 2005
    Halifax, UK
    Yeah saw that. I tap just behind the fret, where you'd put you're finger if you were playing normally. That Ritter was wierd. Maybe you'd press with you're fingernail or something. The 30th+ frets are just silly

3. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    48 frets no way dude :eyebrow:

4. youre right - i was guessing when i said 48 i went back and counted the no. of frets - there are actually 40! not quite 48 but still!!! :eyebrow:

5. "abuse?"

6. Originally Posted by Frank Martin
    Uhmm... maybe you should check the Technique forums and your technique (maybe even consult a teacher) in general before you come here and talk sh!t. Thank you.

i think that qualifies as "abuse"!?!?
    but lets not concentrate on the negativity of some users :)

7. As long as it sounds right, who cares who criticizes your technique? If I do tapping, I usually hit right on the fret because it seems easier. I guess just because you don't have to push the string as far down, but just a light tap to strike it against the fret. But, that's just me...