Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please Help With New Gear/Setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by amos, Dec 3, 2003.

1. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    I'm getting my gear ready to play shows soon this is my idea so far

SansAmp RBI preamp
    QSC RMX 1450 power
    Aguilar GS212 cab (mainly for personal monitor, since sansamp will be running di to our awesome PA)

I have a few questions, since I've never used a separate power amp before:

Will my 1450 be running in bridged mono mode if it's only going to the GS212 cab? Will it be sufficient power for the cab?

Should I invest in a compressor or any other signal processors to make this setup complete?

Help is appreciated; I've been playing over five years but I'm still new at this gear stuff.

2. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Anyone have answer/suggestions?

I'm also considering the Bass Compactor unit by Tech 21, since my passive 72 mustang could really use some boost.

3. Your QSC will only run in bridged mode if you set it for bridged mode.

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    You can run off one side of the amp (stereo mode) or run bridged into your cab if you want.

I used a compressor for a while and didn't feel like it helped that much (I still have it for certain purposes, just not in my main rig) - So, I wouldn't get that.

With the RBI as a pre, I'd recommend getting an eq so you can have better control over mids. I felt like there wasn't enough midrange flexibility with that pre when I had one. Otherwise, it sounds great!! I love the overdrive sound it can get.

5. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    Sounds like a pretty awesome rig. Have you checked the specs on the cab and the QSC? That's where you will be abel to determine if the amp will be enough to power the cab. My guess is - YES!

In fact I would consider a smaller power amp if you are only going to be powering one cab (MHO). Save a couple bucks.

Oh, and usually there is a switch or seperate plugs to run stereo or mono. The instruction manual will explain how it works.

6. Ditto, that's a perfectly suitable rig. The RBI will do you just fine for personal monitoring, and the power amp into that cab combination will be clean and loud. You shouldn't need compression, depending on your style of play.

Start with that as a base, and add compression later, if necessary.

7. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    thanks everyone for the info.
    I had compared specs (QSC vs. GS212)

I figured out that bridging on these types of power amps is push-button simple. My only experience with power amps was with car amps where bridging is a little different.

8. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    make sure that you buy the GS212 in the 4ohm version. BTW, I would highly reccomend getting a pair of GS112's over the GS212. I have seen a pair of GS112's in the classifieds recently. They were asking 600 for the pair.