1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Please help!! Yamaha BB614 or Ibanez ATK300

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fredolee16, Apr 8, 2009.

1. I know that both basses are a llittle bit diferent, but I have like $500 to buy a new bass. I want something versatile. My band plays alternative, pop, funk and some balads too!! I like to jam with my Ipod something like the Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Rush.....I love to play so differet styles and I don't llike to carry a lot of basses when I have gigs....I love to slap a lot and I sometimes basses that have the neck pickup can be uncomfortable for me. I prefer active and I really love to have the bass, mid and treble knobs all in my bass. Searching a lot of sites I found this two basses but here in PR I don't have GC or Sam Ash to try this basses...just reviews and reviews.....I need the most reviews that I can to choose one of those. Every advice will help me a lot!!

2. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    I've never played the Ibanez before, but the Yamaha BB basses are very good. They have thin, fast necks and pretty punchy tones (though they can be dialed down for certain genres of music). IMO they are great for slapping and, while not being the paragon of versatility, they can still be adjusted to play several different styles of music.

3. That fact of the neck remind me that I have carpal tunnel and I need a confortable neck.....what about the Ibanez ATK neck?

4. IbanezATK

IbanezATK

Feb 24, 2009
    Monroe, LA, USA
    I have carpal tunnel and average sized hands (I'm having surgery soon to fix it!) and the ATK isn't too hard on me, though compared to some more "modern" style bases the neck is fairly chunky.

It sounds great too!

5. It's that true that the ATK can sound similar to a Musicman?

6. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    Both those basses are great for the money, although I'd suggest the passive BB414 instead of the active model. It sounds much fuller and... "real", IMO. My personal choice would be the ATK, which is one of the most underrated basses out there. Very versatile, and the neck doesn't feel like a piece of paper, compared to most other Ibanez models (SR etc.).

In any case, you should go try them both out and decide for yourself.

7. If I live in US I try, but remember that I said in the beggining of the thread that I live in PUerto Rico,,,there is no GC or Sam Ash or a good bass shop..just crap and crap or expencive Fenders, so the only way is take the risk by mail in MF. For that reason I need to read all the reviews that I can first..My big question...The ATK can produce EB Stingray sounds?

8. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    I know that situation myself man. I'm sorry, didn't notice that part. Well, the ATK can come closer to a SR tone than the Yammie, so, if that's what you want, go for it. You can't go wrong with either, though, and both basses get a lot of love around here. Perhaps you should consider a G&L SB2 or L2000 Tribute? I don't know much about prices there, check if they're in your budget.

9. I love how the G&L looks but I have almost $550 to buy. Thats my price range, but thanks because your review is very usefull for me.

10. Yes it can. While not exactly the same, the sound is VERY close.

11. MMMMMMM this is interesting!!!

12. I own a stingray 4, and if I had the disposable income I would probably buy an ATK 300. They do sound very similar to the Stingray, but the 3 way switch allows you to get other tones that are a bit different, too. The neck and body feels like a Stingray to me also.

13. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I'd like to toss the Lakland 44-01 into the mix. It's a little bit more than you have to spend right now, but only by around $200.

But if you're dead set on only getting one of the two you mentioned, then I would go with the ATK for its Stingray like tone.

14. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    These are very different instruments, though they are contract manufactured by the same company (Cor-Tek), currently in the same plant. QC is usually decent, but can (and does) vary, and lemons do get shipped occasionally.

The ATK series are the only Ibanez basses I find interesting.

Be warned that ATKs are big basses, have large necks and tend to be very heavy. My new ATKs (700 & 750) weigh about eleven pounds each. They also have no passive back-up function if the active circuitry develops problems or your battery quits at an inconvenient moment. For me that's a significant issue with a gigging bass.