Please help!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by newbass, Feb 15, 2004.

1. newbass

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I'm having a custom bass made by a great local luthier, and I desperately need some pickup advice!!!

It will be a 36" fretted six string, with a large single cut body (probably walnut/koa/walnut, or redwood/koa/redwood, probably with hollowed areas in the koa). It will be neck-thru five piece (maple/walnut alternate, or maple/koa alternate) with either a wenge or brazilian rosewood fretboard.

I want a full, slightly warm, jazzy, yet capable of funk tone, that is fairly versatile. I know this is asking a lot. Basically, I don't want a midrangey jaco sound, or a totally muddy sound. Sorry about the subjective tone terms.

Since I like simplicity, I prefer the idea of one nice pickup to two , but besides that I have no idea what I want. Could you please tell me what of different brands and placements would get the sound that I want?

Please respond, cause I'm having a hard time with this. Thanks in advance.
  2. newbass

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Well, I'm leaning towards Aero soapbar or bars? Please answer my questions and suggest some more brands, I'll be ever so thankful!!!
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    You didn't say what pickup configurations and/or brands you've tried before so it's hard to talk about brands. You also don't say whether you're going active/passive, I'm going to assume passive.

For configuration, you want maximum versatility in one pickup.

From my experience, your best bet is going to be a dual coil pickup, with a switch for selecting series/parallel/single coil operation. If you have the pickup placed so the bridge most coil is in the same place as a regular J bridge pickup would be, then you could switch to single coil to get that Jaco sound, use parallel for musicman sound or series for a more cutting sound.

The Fender Roscoe Beck 5 has that configuration * 2 and it makes for an incredibly versatile bass. You can either put in an MM pickup, a JJ pickup, or a soapbar which will probably give you more versatility for any future changes. If you use one of the standard soapbar shapes (i.e. Bart P2/P4), you can swap in soapbars pickups which are single coil, dual coil, triple coil.