Please Help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by LarryO, Apr 14, 2004.

1. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    My bass is making loud "poping" noises when the instrument cable moves around near the input jack. I have tested many different cables and on diferent guitars. It's my input jack.........what do I need to do? Clean the jack? replace the jack? Should I have a guitar tech do this for me?
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What kind of bass? Some jacks are easier to replace than others. Depending on the type it can probably be bent back into shape.
  3. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    You may need to replace the jack, seems like a loose connection. Look inside and see if you can locate the leads (wires) that connect to you input jack. See if you can see any bad connections.

It's a simple solder job.
  4. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Yeah, I had that problem as well... something's gotten loose, or your jack may just be a pretty lousy one. It's a common thing - mine sucked as well :smug:
    Get a tech guy to look at it if you're unsure about pulling it out to check for loose wires, though it may very well be the case that the actual mechanical structure (i.e. the thing which keeps ur jack from moving side to side) is damaged/worn out as well.
    Good luck with it!
  5. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    It's a Zon SOnus 5...I bought it in 1999, so if the jack is "worn out" that would make sense. Thanks guys
  6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    No, sorry - your Zon is all used up and it can't be fixed. Send it to me, and I'll dispose of it properly.

Off to Setup with you!
  7. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    LOL, send it to you??? I could just bring it to you. I live in the Lake bluff Area..LOL