Please help.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Optimistic, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Optimistic

Jul 19, 2004
    Hello. Obviously, I'm new around here..

My name's Adriano and I'm from Brazil. I have a mutant Yamaha which I had made fretless about a year or so, and love it, it sounds lovely, and I don't even know how. But I've also got an Ibanez Ergodyne, which is very, very noisy. In the past four months or so I started hating it, and decided to sell it. And I don't know much about basses, just know how to play them a bit, and they're really my passion.

Now, I need another fretted bass. And I want a Fender Jazz Bass, an American Series. It's going to be really expensive for me, so I have to forget about that vintage I was thinking of. So, the standard american will do, and I really need it to be passive.

The thing is, I don't know much about it, and would need a lot of information to buy it. The second thing is, as I live in a f***ed-up country like Brazil, I need to import it, illegaly, otherwise I would pay around 3000 dollars for it.

First question: what's the real difference between Rosewood and Maple?

Second question: where should I get it? I've heard Musician's Friend is the best one.

Third question: how much is it really worth?

Fourth question: to import it, I have to know how much it weighs, and I haven't found it anywhere. Then, how much does it weigh, with its case?

Fifth (and last): is there anything else I should know before buying it?

(I'm truly sorry for this huge post, but I got really excited when I found this forum. Thanks a lot to all who decide to help me. Cheers.)
  2. I don't have anything to say about the Fender issue, and I'm sorry for that, because I know that is your main concern.

All I wanted to say is...

I have a mutant Yamaha as well. A BBG4S-II that's been defretted. It sounds and feels fabulous. I have yet to find a fretless I prefer.

Some things you just don't question ;)
  3. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    1. Rosewood is generally considered to be a significantly darker sounding wood than Maple (with regard to it's use as a fingerboard wood). In the past, I've preferred basses with rosewood boards compared to basses with maple boards that I've played. Other people prefer maple, and most people probably don't care what it's made of as long as it sounds good.

2. Musician's Friend will probably be just fine. I bought my last bass from there and had no problems at all (although I'm in the continental US).

3. Musician's Friend (if that's where you're buying from) is usually fairly solidly planted on the low side of each instrument's price bracket. If it's not low there, it's probably a fair price at least, so you could use that or ( or as a barometer of sorts for what the difference is in street pricing and list pricing on each instrument. I think that may be confusing you anyway. It did me for a long time.

4. These are just ballpark, but I think they weigh around 8-10 without the case, and from 12-15 with a hardshell case. It's entirely possible that I'm way the hell off, because I'm guesstimating. You could call Musician's Friend and ask them the weights, they probably have that stuff on file.

5. While American Fenders are generally considered to be of better quality than their foreign-made brethren, every Fender bass should be approached the same way you'd approach a game of craps. Sometimes you beat the odds, and sometimes the odds beat you.

Hope I helped.