Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

please help!

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by let_your_soulfly, Aug 3, 2000.

1. let_your_soulfly

let_your_soulfly

Jul 28, 2000
    Toronto
    hey mike,
    well here is my story:i've been playing bass for almost a year now(not very long). I took lessons but all i was interested in was playing cool songs with friends when we jammed together. As soon as i became a member of talk bass, i discovered new artists like victor wooten,jaco, and les claypool and they have really lead me to play the bass. When i picked up my bass to try to play some notes of the songs(i new i wasn't going to play all of it), i reallized i was missing knowledge of the bass. so right now i would like to learn all the chords,theory and such(i already know the basic tuning of the bass, changing of strings and i think i have a pretty good understanding of the frets(only #'s) and my technique or dexterity is not that bad).

well finally what im trying to ask is should i continue lessons and ask him to teach me chords or should i get a book and ask the teacher to teach me theory? i am very confussed right now and i appreciate any,and i mean any help on this subject. if u have any questions please don't hesitate to email me at edi182@hotmail.com

thank u very much for the response!!!!

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Please forgive for the delayed response. The past week or two have been hectic. One great thing about knowledge is that you can never get too much of it. You should strive for a good grounding in technique and theory. Since you are 16, you might be able to take a music theory elective in high school. I would also continue lessons. A good teacher will be responsive to your needs, ask him to give you a balance of tecnique and theory/chords. If you ever have any questions about what you are learning, please post it here

Mike