Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

please help!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hetsscaryguy, Apr 18, 2005.

1. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    right i thought i had my amp worries sorted. i had planned to get a abm 500 evo 2 and then put it through an avatar 15 and 2x12. but now im wondering if i really need the 15 and 2x12. im playing in a 3 piece band. the guitarist is pretty good but when it comes to playing solos its up to me to keep the song sounding decent. im just worried that the 15 wil llimit my range to just playing low deep sounds whereas i really need to keep high enough frequencies.

i also like to play a few solos and nice accents to certain guitar parts higher up the neck, and im worried also that the 15 wont respond as well. another thing is ive noticed nobody i really listen to uses/used 15s and 12s except for cliff burton. evryone i like uses an 8x10. so what do you guys think, should i just get myself an 8x10?

2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I highly doubt you need an 8x10. If you're looking for low end with decent clarity in the higher ranges, I'd get the 2x12. 15's are good for tons of bass, and 8x10's could knock over a wall if you've got enough power behind it, but it doesn't sound like you fit either of those cases.

3. 2x10 + 1x15 = Utopia IMHO :)

4. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

You want pounding bottom and clean highs???
    1x18 and 2x12 is just the ticket....add an amp with 500 or 600 watts use-able and you are set!!!

5. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    so you say just a 2x12? will that be enough to play with a 60w tube guitar head (ashdown fallen angel) and 4x12 cab and a pretty loud drummer?

6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Well that all depends on your power setup. Two 8-ohm cabs will be louder than that single cab, so if you've got the money, I'd definitely look at one of the setups that was recommended previousy. If you must choose one, I say the 2x12 is a solid choice. I like 10's personally, but if you like what 12's give you, then go for that.

...Incidentally, for the price of two Avatars, you're up in the ballpark of a Schroeder 1210 or 1212, and to hear some of the TB'ers around here who've tried them, just one of these cabs might be enough to be worth considering.