Please help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ndrew, May 4, 2005.

1. Ndrew

May 4, 2005
    Alright... i've been playing fender and music man basses for many years now. Over the last few months I have began developing really bad back pains, which seem to start up everytime i play my bass. It is definitley turning into a seriously problem.
    Has anyone else gone through something like this?
    Does anyone have any advice regarding basses that are specifically light?
    :help: :help:

Thanks a lot.
  2. BassManMike

Apr 2, 2005
    I'm sure there are many basses that would weigh less than a MusicMan or Fender. The lightest would probably be the Steinberger headless bass. However, if you have been developing back pains, it probably suggests a biomechanical issue or structural deterioration. You are right for attempting to eliminate the stress by reducing the weight of the bass, but embarking on a fitness program to strengthen your core body (low back and abdominal muscles) would also be adviseable, particularly if you are experiencing low back pain. I'm sure a single appointment with a personal trainer would be able to demonstrate many exercises that could help. If you have upper back pain, you may want to look at the type of strap you are using. You might also want to try to play more in a seated position until you find a lighter bass, and experiment with how low or high you hang the bass on your body. Consult an occupational therapist or a physical therapist for more direct ideas, and consider bringing your bass with you to an appointment so they can see how your body addresses the instrument when you play.

Just some thoughts - I'm not a doctor.