please help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by blaksmacker, Jul 16, 2005.

1. blaksmacker

Jul 16, 2005
    i've always used combos up until now, and i need more sound so i'm going to buy a head and a 215 cab...and i need to know if it would matter that the head's wattage was higher than the cab's....please help! :D
  2. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    It doesn't matter.
  3. Well, how much higher? For example, using a cab rated 500 watts, and a head rated 600 watts, you'll probably be OK.

Cab rated 100 watts, head rated 600 watts, probably not OK.

Details would help.
  4. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Your cab needs to be rated high enough to handle the output of your amp head. A 400 watt cab should never be expected to handle a 500 watt input from an amplifier without the risk of being overdriven by a spike of voltage from the amplifier's signal.
    You could fry your cab (trash your speakers) if it's not rated at least as high as your amp at the same ohms rating.
  5. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Bridged PLX3002 into one or two Eden 112XLT's. No farting and no blown speakers for two years. I've run the PLX into one Eden 10 inch cabinet rated at 200 watts, no problems and lots of headroom. A good rule of thumb for bass players is that you need 500 watts if you play with a drummer. Plus 1000 watts for every guitar player on stage with you. Unless you are backing up some folk singers and the drummer is heavily sedated. :meh:
  6. Two schools of thought here.

Old one:
    Speaker cab must be rated equal to or greater than the amp.

New one:
    Amp should be rated greater than the speaker cab.

Know this:

If you push ANY amp to its max you get a clipped/distorted waveform that if clipped to much to the point of becoming a Pulse instead of analog signal it can Damage the speaker even if the amp is rated 40 watts and cab 600.
    Also, you can ruin a speaker by putting too much wattage into it.

What many today feel is the best, Buy as large of an amp as you can afford but larger wattage than the cab so you can run in lower, get the power you need without driving it into the point of clipping. Now here is where the common sense comes into play. You have a 600 watt amp and a 400 watt cab. Don't run the amp more than 2/3 and you should be fine and have more clean headroom than a 400 watt amp would.