Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eye been nez'd, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Eye been nez'd

Eye been nez'd

Dec 14, 2005
    Hey guys!First post, and Iam interested in purchasing my first bass I have no idea what to look for in a bass (4 string) was wondering if you could give some direction.

The music I'am intersted in playing is metal(tuning's ADGC) and I have a budget $500 for a bass.Thanks I really appreciate your help!

2. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    There are a lot of basses you can get for $500. Where do you live? Do you have a Guitar Center or some other music store ( the larger the better ) around? If so they would have many choices for you to check out and see how they feel.
    For that money you can get a Fender Standard P or Jazz Bass made in Mexico. They aren't bad. Or any number of Ibenez Basses. There will be others I can't think of on the spot.

3. Eye been nez'd

Eye been nez'd

Dec 14, 2005
    Thanks for the reply!I was leaning towards Ibanez mainly cause of the style of music.

4. Eye been nez'd

Eye been nez'd

Dec 14, 2005
    Whats the diff between a P bass and jazz bass?

5. the guitar center is a good place to look. play all you can before you buy and gc has many to choose from. i got my first bass from gc which is a ibanez gsr200. ive only been playin for 5 months so im no expert. play all you can youll know what feels right. hope this helps. good luck in your search, mike

6. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    The P bass and Jazz bass have different neck shapes, so they feel different in your fretting hand.

The P bass generally sounds "round" and thumpy, while the Jazz has more of a mid-range 'growl'.

These are not rules set in stone though, because there are P basses that come with a bridge pick-up (like a Jazz does... the "P Bass Deluxe") and there are other exceptions to the rule.

Best thing is to go shopping and play a lot of basses, see which ones feel right. Most folks think this is fun so go crazy.

One last thing, if you buy used gear your money will usually go farther. You might even look in the classifieds here, looks like some nice basses there

7. Eye been nez'd

Eye been nez'd

Dec 14, 2005
    Thanks!For info !You guys are totally right gotta go to the store and play them,I know that from playing guitars.It seems like that Ibanez srx series might be the direction I wanna go.

8. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Metal? Did some poor soul say Metal? Why a P-bass does nicely but so Does a J...Just play as many as you can get your hands on. If it is comfortable to you then buy it; happy hunting good sir. :bassist:

9. Eye been nez'd

Eye been nez'd

Dec 14, 2005
    Are you guys using muli effects processors or just playing strainght out of amp?

10. Eye been nez'd

Eye been nez'd

Dec 14, 2005
  11. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Have you played the washburn and the Ibenez side by side? It's going to be your bass,not ours,you need to play them.

As for amps, I'm not a Hartke fan, but that's just my opinion. Others will disagree. Even though they are made in Tiawan now, I have a GK Backline 110 70 watt amp w/ a 10" speaker I use for light practice. I think I payed about the same price for it. I don't see it on the music.123 site, but the bottom line is you need to play them yourself, they are for you not us,and you shouldn't care much what people think as long as your happy.