1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Lex Luthier, Mar 25, 2006.

1. I have built two new prototypes for my bass guitar company.

My designs are pretty unique.

After taking them to local players and shops I have had some varying reactions on the aesthetics of the instruments
    (people seem to like the look but actually seem somewhat freaked out by them!!?!)

Please could anyone take a look at them at the following link and give me some feedback.

http://www.freewebs.com/mule-basses/models.htm

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks. :)

2. Kasper007

Kasper007

Feb 9, 2006
    Belgium
    They are nice man no need to worry!
    (Although it comes down to personal tastes of course)

3. They're awesome! Of course, I play an FBB (#1046-01 on the gallery page), which is very similar in design to your body style. I think this type of design is really cool and a refreshing departure from the bland parade of Fender- or Tobias-clone body shapes that seems to predominate bass luthiery these days.

4. yeah you have some really nice curves on those bodys.
    and pricing is reasonable too. good luck in your ventures, i hope you have a good few orders come in (i would be tempted but i just bought a bass 3 days ago).

have you tried asking a publication to do a demo (they may not publish the piece but they will pass on the word if they like them.) or you could try and book a spot at a local guitar trade fair or convention.

or you could try e-bay just to get a large potential audience for next to nothing (there are ways of putting adverts on e-bay as dummy items, even if it is a little naughty or you could set up an e-bay shop for orders)

5. OK,

I did a very quick once over...

I like the Mule much more than the Workhorse. The only thing I really don't like about it is the pointy tail, which would be a deal killer for me. I really like the upper fret access and neck joint area too. Your headstocks are a little busy for my taste but not enough to totally put me off.

Best of Luck,
    S

6. Manol

Manol Too Sexy To Be Left Handed.

Oct 9, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Is it just me or do they look very Wishnevskyish?

7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    The mule has no room to slap/pluck or double-thump/pluck between the fingerboard and the neck p-up, maybe you could put the p-ups ike Keith Roscoe does on his LG's so those slap masters get more interested in that model.

The workhorse looks too much like the ESP F series to me.

8. I saw that too, but I quite like it:)

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Lex, welcome to TalkBass!

I've moved your thread to our Luthier's Corner forum which is where it belongs. You should read the Commercial Users Policy (part of the FAQ and Rules) for our guidelines, and you definitely need to contact Paul (the site owner and admin) to have your user title changed to reflect your commercial status.

Thanks!

10. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    This explains why there are two identical threads here

11. oh jah....

I can digit like a spigit...

I dont like the point on the second bass, but over all, its quite nice looking that is...

12. I'm sorry I didn't know that I'd done anything wrong.

I'm not actually a full time guitar builder, I do it as a hobby (though I'd like to) I'm actually a cabinetmaker/woodmachinist.

I posted one in each because I wanted feedback from both players, who I would assume would go more to the bass forum and from a luthiers view point(hence the post in the luthiers corner)

I'm purely trying to get feedback on the designs/shapes of my instruments, I'm not trying to peddle my products as I'm genuinely trying to get help and suggestions as some of the comments I've received have puzzled me , but I'll take another look at the Commercial Users Policy again, as I did read it but things like that never make much sense to me.

Sorry again. Bob :)

13. no prob bob... it should be cool...

14. I've put some better pics of the Workhorse and brightened up the Mule in photoshop (as I havent got that one here to take better pics of at the mo)

Thanks for the comments.

15. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    The Mule is really cool. Too bad they're all 4 strings. Would be nice to se some 5's or 6's. Keep up the good work.

16. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Of course your designs will intimidate some! It's not truly a P-bass, is it?
    OTOH, some will be attracted by it.

So you just keep on doing your trick, it will at least give you some satisfaction of achievement.

17. Thanks for all the comments/complaints/suggestions, keep them coming!!

I've posted a link to a pic of my revised 'Mule' template;

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h236/lex_luthier/designs008.jpg

There may not seem to be many changes but I've thickend the top horn, dropped the noggin' at the back and widened the gap of the bottom cutaway to give better access to the top frets.

I'm pretty happy with this shape and am planning to build a 'Mule' 5-string in the next 2/3 months.

Also here are some pics of some thumb-nail sketches of bass designs I did last year (If you think my basses are wierd you should look at the designs I didn't use!!)

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h236/lex_luthier/4c054055.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h236/lex_luthier/8bea63ea.jpg

Sorry about the bad pics I need to get myself on a photography course!!