1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Lex Luthier, Mar 25, 2006.

1. I have built two new prototypes for my bass guitar company.

My designs are pretty unique.

After taking them to local players and shops I have had some varying reactions on the aesthetics of the instruments
    (people seem to like the look but actually seem somewhat freaked out by them!!?!)

Please could anyone take a look at them at the following link and give me some feedback.

[http://www.freewebs.com/mule-basses/models.htm

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Many thanks. :)

2. Ron Joseph

Ron Joseph

Mar 22, 2006
    Super designs!:cool: I don't think you should worry too much about what a few people think about asthetics. Everybody has a different taste, and you can't please all of them. Personally, I think you should just keep doing what you feel is right.

3. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Atlanta
    +1

I am more partial to The Mule though. The geometry of the horns on The Workhorse is not exactly my cup of tea.

4. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I agree. I really like the design of the Mule. When I read the philosophy section of the basses, in regards to them being designed to "take a licking and keep on ticking" and used as a workingman's, or gigger's bass night after night, I'd have wonder if the design of the Workhorse (esp. the upper horn) could take a lickin' and keep on staying attached to the body). They look like very solidly built instruments, but the design of the Workhorse doesn't really speak 'workhorse' to me for some reason, and I think it has to do with those horns. They are almost phallic. Definitely unique. Some of my own designs have come out very phallic-looking as well, especially the lower cutaway horn thing.
    The Mule, however, I really like. Very tasteful. I give you props for building basses for cheap, the working man. Seems you definitely build quality basses that are simple and unique.
    Also, it's one thing to look at a picture and critique. I'm sure if I was holding or playing the bass, I might have something different to say :meh: .

5. i much apreciate the Workhorse, it reminds me of some kind of dangerous insect... maybe a scorpion, yeah that's it - change the name! :)

the mule upper horn looks like a coat hanger, or even a freight truck shifter hehe :) doesn't mean i don't like them

they look very good, +1 for the workhorse but as JSP said, the upper horn look a little fragile

6. I like the mule, but the upper horn on the workhorse scares me.

lowsound

7. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    not exactly my cup of tea, but as it has been said already, if you like it then keep on doing what you're doing. The mule is better looking than the workhorse in my opinion. Look at the bongo bass though. That thing is beyond ugly and everyone knows it. It doesn't keep them from buying it (most of the time) for it's sound. Keep up the originality.

8. I've put some better pics of the Workhorse and brightened up the Mule in photoshop (as I havent got that one here to take better pics of at the mo)

Thanks for the comments.

9. Form is subjective, and I lean toward the traditional, so keep this in mind....

The general body outlines look great, but there are two things that don't work for me:
    1) The transition from smooth curves on the body to square-ish corners on the horns.
    2) The angled tuners on the headstock (easy tweek).