Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Luis Fabara, Nov 15, 2001.

1. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Sorry to bring this one up...

I have a Streamer LX 6 String and want to put a Basslines system in there if the Upgrade really makes a difference. I feel the MEC Pickups are fine but the Preamp really muddies up the tone when using the bass knob (100Hz it got to sound muddy) and gets harsh witht the highs (2Khz too low for highs it brings up too much high-midrange wich adds presence for fingerstyle but harshness for slap)

I have experience with Bartolini preamps and like them, but I want this bass to be fully active and different. I Have no experience with the STC3A Tone control.
    Also planning on using a Fishman Voltage doubler with it to have the 18 Volt Arrangement with 1 battery on that small electronic compartment.

How is the tone shaping of it?
    How do the Phase I´s perform compared to the MEC Gold that come in the streamer.

I would apreciate any help you can give me on the matter.

On the other hand, I could go the Passive/Active route and have Series/parallel single coil for each Bart Pickup and have Bart Preamp in there, but I dont think that is what I want for this bass.

Would like your suggestions.
  2. top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    I could get up off my lazy ass and find the catalog for basslines to be really specific about it, but the preamp from the specs. sounds great. it has a super low freq. boost I think its around 40 hz, and all the Q's look decent, (the Q is the amount of the dropoff slope for each different band) I Think the bass and trebble are shelving and at decent frequencies. I was going to buy one for my next bass that I am building- a singray with a jazz body.
  3. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I can't figure out why you don't want to go with the Bartolini preamp. Fully active?? Mine doesn't have an active/passive option, because of piezos. The pickups (Barts) are passive but I don't think the preamp really has anything to do with this. "Different" I guess is a good enough reason. But I love the NTMB in mine! :)
  4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I had an 18 Volt NTMB Preamp, the thing is that its design makes each band slightly overlap each other. I dont like the overlapping. Overlapping is good to avoid honky midrange controls, but on the other hand it makes specific tone changes a little more difficult.
    Also the NTMB 18 Volts goes a lot below the hearing spectrum.. thats good in theory but it makes your amp waste power if you dont have a low cut filter say at.. 30Hz.

I had Bartolini Triple coils in a bass I had, and I really like them. But what I want for the warwick is to retain the dry aggresive tone it has with the MEC´s but add some versatility and more lows and output, wich I think will be provided by the Basslines.