Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Si-bob, Jan 14, 2002.

1. this is a question/shout for help concerning my new Bass Collection 5 (strung with a high C, just so u know)

wenever i play, grenerally stuff whivh doesn't concer the e string, ie on the D, G, C strings, the E still vibrates, and it sounds horrible. I don't think its my fault...muting etc, seeing as i'm not using the string in the first place, it shouldn't sing.

it sounds horrible and is getting me down....new bridge?....monorail?.....HELP"!

cheers
    *Si*

2. I am sorry, but it is your fault. Even if you don't play that string you have to mute it.
    But that is giving you something to practice for the next weeks.;)
    Are you placing your thumb on a pup? If you place it on the E-String it automaticly mutes the string.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yup - minimalist is right - this is a "technique" question and muting is a very important technique to learn - there are many ways to do it, but on 5 or 6 string basses, it really becomes essential!

4. ok, cool, thanks guys
    i'll work on it
    but already, i'm thinking about (only thinking mind) on trading in the 5 for a SEI 4, and then stringing my old 4 as a piccolo
    what u think?

i onlt wanted the 5 for the high C

*Si*

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think you'd be better off getting bass lessons, studying technique and learning how to play properly, rather than getting hung up about gear!!

Well...you asked! ;)

6. funny u should say that, i just booked a new teacher today, so there we go, yeah, sorry bout that earlier outburst, twas me be silly with gear ideas....although i probly will try and fine a cheap shorter scale bass to mess about with, for piccolo or something

cheers all

*Si*

p.s.
    i'v already started muting the e by resting my thumb on it wen i play anything where that string is not needed, i only need to do this for the E, cos its the only one that seems to resonate.

7. I wouldn't be so sure. Lets say it that way: It's the only string you hear right NOW.;)

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I was always an E string rester for muting, and when I switched to five, I had a little problem. My solution was to continue to rest the bottom of my thumb on the E. With an ever so slight bend of the thumb knuckle, you can easily mute the B string with the top (nail) side of your thumb.

In your case, you could do it with A and E.

Chas