Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

please help

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by blakec3686, Jun 9, 2002.

1. blakec3686

blakec3686

Dec 14, 2000
    Ok i really never wanted to play bass in the first place but since i got one i ve fell in love with it. the problem is that i only read tabs. i cant afford a teacher so what i need is a self teaching book that acctualy works, something with basic thery and makes me learn how to read music and how to do all that stuff. sort of an idiots guide to the bass.
    Blake

2. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire
    "makes me learn how to read music and
    how to do all that stuff"

Blake,

There are a number of books available on reading and theory. However I assure you that none of them will make you learn.

This book will work, if you work it.

http://www.jimstinnett.com/books.html#anchorbassclef

It is used extensively at Berklee.

3. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Definitly get some books. Its great to see a new bassist learning to read rather than using just tabs.

4. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    My instructor has me working through the book "The Complete Electric Bass Player: The Method" by Chuck Rainey.

This book has been invaluable in teaching me how to read, and improving my dexterity. I've been using this book for a couple of weeks now, and I can't look at TAB anymore because it just confuses me. By learning how to read the actual music, I can play it on the frets I want to use instead of relying on TAB telling me where to put my fingers.

Anyway, the book is listed on Amazon cheaper than I've seen it anywhere else.

[Mandatory disclaimer: Neither I, nor members of my family, or their affiliates work for Chuck Rainey or Amazon.com] :)

5. I don't think you need to look any further than this.