1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PLEASE HELP !!!???!!!!???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The modifier, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Until now my Peavey Basic 112 had been fine, just today when playing weird buzz appeared first a small little crackle then a full blown loud buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz first I thought it was my bass or cable so I bought a new cable and tried a diffrent bass and even unplugged the buzz was still there(all the settings were set to flat), it is until I hit and shook it (with a lot of force did the buzz go away but it still comes back and I shake the whole thing and it goes away) what could it be??????????? (I really like this combo and I really want to fix it so please :help:)

2. No One ??????!

3. AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGG WHAT A SLOW DAY

4. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Something really easy you could try is patching/plugging a guitar cord between the send and return jacks of your fx loop. (if equiped) Let us know if this fixes yer buzzzzzz .

5. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    Is it buzzing when you play a note or all the time?

6. Its buzzing randomly, mostly when I start playing anything though, if I dont touch it it wont buzz, also If I knock it on the top it starts buzzing, knock it again it stops, driving me nuts

7. Im posting a you tube video as we speak.

8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    You post three times on the same thread in less than 30 minutes, then whine because no one has come to your rescue yet? :rolleyes:

Grow up... :eyebrow:

MM

9. You've got to understand here, im desperate, this amp was growing to be my favorite out of my only 2 and to see it go down like this ....

10. Easy now... As far as timing, I'm often surprised at how quickly people here on Talkbass reply, often with great/helpful feedback. And as anyone that has had them will tell you, gear problems can be extremely frustrating. I'm one of those people that would want to get it fixed a.s.a.p. as well! :)

Modifier, if it's unplugged, I don't think it's the driver... Has the amp been knocked around? Perhaps there's a component inside that may have worked loose? Wish I could be more help... :meh:

5sg.

11. Please check out my link, dont know if its up yet but I just posted this

12. richmoore1998

richmoore1998

Sep 11, 2006
    Niagara, Canada
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, D'Addario Strings, Planet Waves
    Things can be fixed. It's not the end of the world - in fact, if you find someone to fix it right you should have it for many more years to come. It could be any number of things - this isn't the only place to look for info... contact an amp guy - in fact, if you find a good amp tech you're set.

13. :atoz: :crying:

14. Wow, sounds like my beard trimmer! :D lol

Okay, all joking aside, it does sound like a problem in the amplifier. If it goes away when you smack it, I'm betting there's something loose inside. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about amps to be able to help.

I'll say this though, you might not have to find an actual amp guy. Anyone who's good with electronics might be able to open it up and take a look around. Maybe there's an home stereo repair guy around?

5sg.

15. HAHAHAHA well joke cheered me up a bit, Ill post and ad on craigslist, and scan the phone book these following days(sucks I had a jam session planned this Saturday).

16. Well heres the new link to the problem video, youtube removed my first one for some reason

17. You gotta face it, when electronic equipment starts misbehaving, there are only a limited number of things you can do, unless you are an electronics tech!!

First thing is, tighten ALL nuts that surround your input & output jacks. Even the ones you don't use (ie; effects in/out jacks, etc.). Check amp to speaker connections. Twist all pots back and forth several times, in case a dirty pot is the culprit. If problem still exists, take it to the shop!!

It's fairly obvious there's an intermittent connection, or faulty part, based on the fact that it will come and go as you hit it.

You could always open it up and see if there is a cold solder joint somewhere, but if you don't have knowledge or patience, it's time for a trip to the repair man!!!

BEWARE: If not under warranty, even a medium priced repair could cost a significant percentage of a replacement amp!!

18. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009

19. Ill try all of the advice, but im most likely end up calling a place that I know fixes car stereos and stereos and see if they can do anything.

20. roschmbo

roschmbo

Dec 13, 2008
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here. These Peavey amps (the ones i've been into) have a number of eight pin ICs, type 4558. They are not soldered in, rather they have plug-in sockets which are soldered to the circuit cards. After a time, the contacts get dirty/loose/corroded and the can act just as yours does.
    TRY EXTERNAL REPAIRS FIRST!
    If you are feeling good about yourself, if you've got the confidence, if you've nothing to lose and everything to gain, go inside. Discharge the filter caps first by shorting them with a screwdriver. Then carefully unplug each 4558 and reinsert it the same way into it's socket and try again. Make sure you don't bend the pins when putting them back. While you're at it, unplug and reconnect each interconnecting cable inside the amp. All the circuit cards plug in with Molex connectors. After that, I would check the filter caps themselves.
    If the amp still works, it shouldn't be too hard to fix it.