please help!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by hell_awaits, Nov 14, 2000.

1. hell_awaits

May 2, 2000
    I just purchased a MIM fretless jazz bass(it was a floor model) at guitar center. I noticed that the bridge saddles on the E and G strings were completely maxed out until they wouldn't go down any further. I also noticed that the nut was filed down so much that the strings were resting on the fingerboard. I asked the salesman why the bass was setup like this, and if it was normal. He kept on insisting that everything was set to factory standards and optimum playablity, and that I should invest in getting it setup if I didn't like the way that it felt. I played it beforehand and it sounded/felt great, with the exception of the high string action which was due to an incredible amount of relief in the neck.

When I got home I decided to give the truss rod a little tweak. When I was loosening the strings I noticed that the nut was cracked right on the D string(at that point I just tuned it back up and decided to leave the truss rod alone). It's my guess that it was setup with that amount of relief to compensate for the nut.

Did I buy a defective bass(besides the cracked nut)? I don't know much about fretless basses, but I somehow feel that I purchased a lemon. Thanks in advance!

2. can you return this bass, or was it a as is model?
    is there a place you can bring it to have it checked out that isn't a guitar center?
    i am not a pro at set up so i really can tell you but they should at least fix the nut for you
    if your not happy with it i would exchange it before you can't
    seeing that it is a fretless maybe this is the way it should be, i have an expensive fretless and i wouldn't describe the setup the way you did, but i have some of these fenders set up like this
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Go back to GC and get mean if you have to.

Unless the bill of sale(your receipt) says AS IS on it, GC has a 30 day return policy on everything they sell.

If they will not set it up for free, get a full refund and go somewhere else.