Please I dont know what kind of music to listen to HELP!!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by damola, Sep 19, 2005.

1. damola

Sep 19, 2005
    Hello guys, i am quite a good bass player and i practice a lot but i have no materials to practice on i just practice with my brain and my style of music is funk jazz i mean i want to slap and pop a lot. what albums can i listen to and does any one know any website where i can get such songs from. i really need to have something to practice on. i just form my grooves from my brain because i dont know what to listen to. please help!!!!!!!
  2. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Herbie Hancock - Thrust, fav. tune - Actual Proof

Some of the best Funk Jazz on the market.
  3. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    You may have better luck in recordings........

4. Nirvana4ever

Aug 2, 2005
    It is really up to you which type of music to listen to and try to emulate. If you like funk, go for bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers and Parliment. If you like metal, go for bands like Metallica and Iron Maiden. Try to find the genre of music that you love and would most likely want to play. If you do not like the type of music you are playing, you won't get anywhere. You have to be happy with your music. Pick a bassist that you would like to sound like. Listen to a lot of their stuff and learn it by ear or tab. Good luck. Rock on.
  5. skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    If I were you I would check out Sly and the Family Stone (bass player Larry Graham pretty much invented slap), Stanley Clarke (his earlier stuff), Marcus Miller, and Jaco Pastorius. Each one of the aforementioned bassists is a funk master, and should provide you with sufficient material for many practice sessions to come.