Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please, I Need Everyone's Advice On This

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by supernaut_1, Apr 30, 2003.

1. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    well i have recently become interested in effects. right now i have a boss odb-3 overdrive pedal and a rogue (not sure of the model) wah pedal. what i would like to know is: should i buy a digitech bp200 or just continue with buying single effects? and i plan on replacing the rogue wah pedal with a bass wah, that is if i decide to buy only single effects. anyways, as for the digitech, i like the idea of having all the effects in one unit, but i also know the quality will be considerably lower then single effects. and all the effects are cool, but i know i will only be using about half of them. oh and by the way these are the main pedals i would want if i got all single units, my boss overdrive, a boss chorus, and some kind of bass wah pedal. those are the pedals i want and the overdrive and wah i would be using in a band situation (but possibly the chorus eventually). so what do you all think? the digitech or the single effects?

2. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    I went the single effects route - you end up with a lot of cable, potential noise problems, extra set up and break down time, more cost etc

But

I get more control, better quality, I get my sound not some cheesy preset, I have more flexibility etc etc.

If you can afford it I'd go for single pedals but get a pedal board to hold 'em. It saves time and effort

3. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I promise you the Bp200 sounds better than your Rogue wah. The BP200 is a great inexpensive multi-effect, and, unlike a lot of them, it's totally programmable (you never have to use a factory preset if you don't want to). It has very good sound for a multi, and is fantastic considering the price. Multi-effects are generally not as good sound-wise as their analog single counterparts, but it's a great start. For your purposes, I'd say get a good bass wah for now. When you feel like you really want the chorus, get it. If those are the only effects you need, single's probably the way to go. That said, I have pedals other than my Digitech, but you can't beat the expression pedal abilities of the bp200. It's great having your favorite phaser pedal, but you can't change the speed with your foot while playing.

4. i recomend single effects. if you get decent stuff, you can't beat it. besides, i freaking HATE setting up multi-effects units. absolute nightmare. of course, i have two different multi-thingees right now.

5. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    count me in on single effects. more control, better IMO. despite cords and noise if you take proper precautions and procedure theyll be fine. just take care of them. and thing if an effects unit breaks there goes everything. if the one pedal breaks, youve still got the rest.

6. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    A multi-effect might be fun at first but it simply can't compete with really good single effects in most cases.

7. Sworn

Sworn

Feb 27, 2003
    So Cal
    ah, supernaught from musicianforums!
    yes, I as well went the way of the single effects. Better quality, more control, less complex!

8. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    yes from the musiciansforums! yeah i post a lot more there but i like asking questions here more because i get better answers. anyways i think i am going to go the single effects route just because it's a more realisitic idea because i will be using it in a band, and the 20 some odd effects the digitech offers just isn't necessary. thanks for all of your input.

9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Polly Story number #541.

Polly saved alot of money.
    Polly got alot of "high end" rack effects.
    Polly sent them all back.
    Polly now uses pedals.

End of Polly Story #541

10. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    I need to agree with everyone and say you should go with the single effect pedals. I think in the long run you regret buying a multi effect pedal because they may have alot of effects but when you need a certain one, they just dont match up to single effect units. So i would recommend spending a little more but being happier in the long run...:)
    M