1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)


Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rockerzz501, May 5, 2006.

  1. rockerzz501


    May 5, 2006
    :( hi everyone,the guitar plug/jack on my old fender jass bass guitar is for 1/4 in FEmale plug, but during gigs I encountered venue using the XLR male plug which is not compatible with a 1/4 in female plug.
    We try to connect it using an adaptor ( XLR female to 1/4 in male plug connector, with the 1/4 in male plug will be connected to my bass guitar while the XLR female will be connected to the XLR male which is then connector the venue sound mixer/console or whatsoever,but the results has no sound. Can anyone help me on this?
    I plan to buy one adaptor for this purpose but I am afraid that it will be useless.
    When we try to practice in our home and we are using the 1/4 male plug and connect it to an amp and the sound is good. But during gigs,with some venues using XLR, it wont sound at all. Our first gig using that bass guitar end up almost a disaster. Thank you so much in advance for anyone who would try to help me on this. :(

    Here are the countermeasures that we applied but fails:
    1. Possible cause #1: The volume knob on bass guitar is very low, we try to volume up but still no sound.
    2. Possible cause #2: The cable is defective, but we try to use different bass guitar not mine but it sound.
    3. Possible cause #3: My bass guitar is defective, although I am not sure on this, but we try to change cable lines instead of using that cable, we use the cable for the vocals microphone, and it sounded..although after couple of minutes there was a strong feedback and it resulted on no sound at all. Although i am not sure if the venue turn that off because it is for vocals.
    4. Possible cause #4: The controlling mixer volume for the bass guitar is very low, but it is set near to max volume and other bass guitars except myself will sound.
  2. Trevorus


    Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Get a DI. Or use a line out/DI on your amplifier.

    Try a sansamp bass driver or para driver.

    Also, the converter may be a tip-ring-sleeve arrangement whereas most regular instrument cables are tip and sleeve. These are also called stereo and mono respectively. If you have an active bass (that uses a battery) it used part of the cable as a switch that turns on the electronics when you plug it in. With that converter that you are using, it probably doesn't allow the electronics to turn on.
  3. The BurgerMeister

    The BurgerMeister musician.

    Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    use a DI box!!

    it takes an instrument signal and changes it to XLR!!

    you can get one for about 40 bucks.
  4. rockerzz501


    May 5, 2006
    Thanks for the advice.But DI Box is rare and expensive in Cebu Philippines. I am planning to buy a simple 1/4 in male mono plug to XLR male plug. Does this solve my problem? Please give me your insight on this. (1/4 in male mono plug will be connected to my passive Fender Jazz Bass and XLR male plug will be connected to XLR female which then connects to the venue sound console.) Does the sound of this connection ok?Is there a high quality brands at a cheaper price for this one?Thank you in advance for your assistance.
  5. Steve


    Aug 10, 2001
    It sounds to me like the venue provided you with a standard lowZ line that is designed to be used with a DI of some sort.

    Your bass is HiZ and it's not going to work in that configuration without a DI.

    Most boards will have a HiZ input you can use in place of the balanced HiZ they provided but you'll still need some kind of splitter or Y adaptor then you'll run into capacitance issues chopping your high end if the regular HiZ cord to the mixer is too long.

    You could try to get them to just mic the cabinet but, good luck with that.
  6. 4Mal

    4Mal Supporting Member

    Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    No - that won't solve your problem. Rare, expensive or not you need a DI. If it were me, I would be looking for a used Sans Amp Bass Driver and hope that someone here will ship to you,
  7. SBassman


    Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US

    If there are budget constraints, get the Behringer Bass DI.
    $29. Problem solved.
  8. EADG mx

    EADG mx

    Jul 4, 2005
    You should keep in mind basses need a mono phone plug, especially when using active electronics. I made that mistake when I plugged it and it wouldn't activate. Most effects pedals won't activate without one either, if they're running on battery.

    From what I understand you are running straight into the board? I suggest you look for a 1/4" input on the board (most mixers should have at least a few), or go into an amp, and then direct out or mic and send that into the board.

    If you really have to go bass to board and you have to use an XLR, you have to go with a DI box.
  9. steveb98

    steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

    Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    Wiring the bass's jack to an XLR won't work you have an impedance mis-match.

    You don't have to go as expensive as a SansAmp DI you just need an impedance matching transformer. Shure (model A95UF) makes one for like $40 on MF. It basically is the convertor you talking about.

Share This Page