Please, I need some recording tips

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by metallicarules, Jul 3, 2001.

1. My band is trying to record some stuff but we are having a hard time. We are using the cool edit program and our first problem is getting the drum track down. We really don't want to take the drums inside my friends house to record them only to find out that it sounds like crap with our cheap mic so does anyone know of a program out their that we could use to make a drum track for an entire song in .wav format? Second we only have tiny little amps and while the bass works ok plugged straight into the computer for some reason the guitar doesn't. When we record it with a mic it sounds very "hollow" and we play hard rock so we are looking for a fuller heavier guitar sound. Anyone have any tips on a different way of recording this or how to edit it to get the kind of sound we want, or is their nothing we can do with our cheap little practice amps.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Recording a guitar straight from the amp line out won't get you good results, because the speaker plays an important role in the system chain.

That's why people usually mike a guitar amp or use a speaker simulator.
    Try a Shure SM57 or a clone of it in front of the guitar amp and plug it in a mixer with a good mic preamp. From the mixer plug into the line in of your soundcard. Avoid the mic in of your soundcard - they're usually too noisy.