Please Identify my Fender Jazz. (some other Qs too..)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by frank84, Feb 6, 2006.

1. frank84

Nov 9, 2005
    Hello everyone.

Before I go on with my questions, I would like to introduce myself.
    This is my very first post. It's been a while since I registered to forum, but I never really read or post anything before.

I am 21 years old boy who really loves bass sounds.
    I never had a professional lessons or know someone who has great knowledge about bass guitars.

I know very little about the guitar itself and would like to learn and take care of it better.

Before I go on, here are some pictures of my Fender Jazz Bass, Made in Japan.

I got this bass guitar from someone I know when I was young..
    about...little over 8 years ago. It was handed over to me in 'used' condition.

Being a little boy and not knowing the name 'fender' i literally tossed this baby around.

Got many bumps and scratches... it hurts me just to talk about it. :crying:

anyhow, I am now taking my time and effort to say 'sorry' to this guitar.

But then again, I dont even know what kind of bass it is.
    All I know is that this is a Fender Jazz MIJ.

So my first question is...
    Does anyone know what kind of Jazz Bass this is?? :help:

It had a white pickguard that I threw away.
    Recently, I wanted to get the pickguard back so I bought one of those, Fender Jazz Bass Pickguard from GC.
    It wouldn't fit. And what I noticed was that my guitar has 11 holes instead of 10, as it was on the pickguard.

Is there a specific pickguard I should look for? or do I just have to modify it a little?

My pickups work fine... sounds great too.. but.. I hate those rusts on them.. is there a way to remove? or fix it?

Sorry to throw bunch of questions at once.

I would really like to take care of guitar from now on.. and also work on my playing skills.

If you kindly help me out, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you in ahead of time..
  2. Well, its a basic MIJ Fender Jazz bass. Not much else there is to say about it. Japanese Fenders are VERY reliable instruments, at least from what I hear. You could take the bass to a luthier and he could make you a custom pickguard, or take him the one you have now and see if he can make it work. Shouldn't let the rust get to you, I doubt it'll effect playability. Worse comes to worse just buy new pickups. And its a BASS or BASS GUITAR, not just g****r. Welcome to TB, hope you enjoy the time you spend here.:bassist:
  3. Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    you can buy pickguards with 11 holes, just look around. Personally for black, i would go with a tortoise guard, sometimes even replacement fender pickguards dont fit perfect and you might have to trim it down.
  4. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

First of all, welcome to Talkbass!

While it's good to see you taking the steps to atone for your errors, don't sweat it too much, the MIJ Fender's were pretty tough old birds -- she will forgive you and she doesn't seem too much worse for the wear. There are great sounding Fender Jazz basses out there that have taken far more abuse.

I'm curious -- what about your pickguard didn't fit? Did the holes not line up or was it simply the wrong shape? I can see that the trussrod adjustment screw is at the base of the neck instead of at the headstock.

That might mean (True experts help me out with this!) that you need a pickguard designed for an American Fender instead of a Mexican one -- which is probably what GC sold you.

Again, welcome to Talkbass! You've come to the right place -- we'll get you squared away in no time! :D
  5. frank84

Nov 9, 2005
    Thank you for all your replies.

So the MIJ Jazz Bass is... it's own?
    Meaning, there's no 'standard jazz' or 'american jazz' or 'american deluxe'?

as far as the pickguard goes, let me take a picture of it with the un-fit pickguard on..

and.. who's luthier???
  6. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Luthier: One that makes or repairs stringed instruments

A guitar/bass repair guy.
  7. frank84

Nov 9, 2005
    hahaha, thought it was a name of a guy..
    (yes, english is my second language)

here are the new pictures.

8. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    "So the MIJ Jazz Bass is... it's own?
    Meaning, there's no 'standard jazz' or 'american jazz' or 'american deluxe'?"

Yup. Made in Japan. Fender now use the term 'Crafted in Japan' as well. Standard jazz basses are made in Mexico
    You know about the American made Fenders. In my opinion japanese made Fenders are excellent quality basses that many people would say rival the quality of American models. Yours doesn't look any the worse for wear. Great looking bass!
  9. Just have a luthier take a whack at the pickguard and drill in new holes. Done and done.
  10. Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Welcome to Talkbass!

I rather like the pickguardless look. My Jazz bass looks very similiar to this but I put a single ply black pickguard on mine to make it appear to be pickguardless.
  11. frank84

Nov 9, 2005
    i had that idea for last 5 years.
    it was stupid move for me to throw away the pickguard

12. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Nice photo of the pickguard misalignment.
  13. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Hi Frank,and welcome to talk bass;your MIJ bass is
    1986-1987 model year,these were pretty good quality
    instruments,take care of it and it should do you for a
    while to come,as far as the pickguard goes it seems you got an american guard,you'll need to get someone at your music
    store dremel it to fit properly.I've got one of these as well
    fine bass indeed!:)
  14. ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    you could just file(?) away that bit of pickguard and it will fit in right as rain. since it isnt an antique, and youve already thrown away the original pickguard, i wouldnt flinch from drilling holes in your bass to match the pickguard and put screws in it. its going to be a work bass anyway, i assume, and not to be displayed in a cabinet?

an alternative is to get a proper made-for-your-bass pickguard... why dont you take your bass to a shop and see what fits?
  15. Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Welcome aboard Frank, it can be a lot fun on these boards. You'll hear some good stuff and and some outrageous stuff. Take what fits leave the rest.
    The bass looks cool without the pickguard. I wouldn't go crazy. The rust on the pickups is no problem. This bass is just starting to get good. It's got some character now. You have get some gigs, spill some beer on it and whack a few more dings into it and it will be real working mans axe. Fender Custom shop gets big bucks for the rust and the dings.
    Seriously, enjoy the bass, play some good music on it and have fun! We're all glad your here.
  16. frank84

Nov 9, 2005
    thank you all 'again' for replies...

my friend who works at a guitar store actually recommended filling up the holes with toothpick and then modify the pickguard that i already bought to fit into my body.....

that's just too much trouble for me..
    if i take it to a professional to do it for me, it's going to cost alot i think.

now.. the new question is..
    is there size or figure differences between '10 holes' and '11 holes'??
  17. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    welcome to Talkbass!

i think you're making this harder than it is. simply take the pickguard and sand if off at those spots by the control plate. i mean, you already bought the thing. you might as well try to make it fit. you don't have to worry about the holes in the bass. 1) they'll be covered up and 2) it won't hurt the bass to have an extra hole.
  18. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Again, welcome to TB! :)

I think the only difference in the 10 and 11 hole pickguards is the placement of the screw holes. However I do know that some of the American made Jazz basses have different pickguards than the rest of the MIM, MIJ and even some of the other MIA jazzes.

If it were me I'd just file away the part that is getting in the way of the control plate.
  19. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    hm, as for the pickguard, you could probably buy a import jazz guard. I remember someone telling me this site that had all the pickguards there were...

tort would look better IMO though.

20. Mongo Slade

Mongo Slade Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Northern New Jersey
    Welcome to TB
    I have a white 11 hole pickguard that I took off my Geddy Lee Jazz, which is also made in Japan. Are you in the U.S.?
    If so, PM me your mailing address an I'll send it to you.
    No charge, just a reward for attonement.;)