Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please,identify this double bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by saxman, Apr 22, 2003.

1. saxman

saxman

Apr 22, 2003
    I´m asking for your help here if possible.I own (but do not play) a double/upright bass.I know nothing about this instrument except it was probably made in the 1960´s or earlier.There is no brand name I can find,just "Made in Western Germany" sticker inside the instrument,on the back "wall".The instrument is dark brown/red,a 3/4 size (I think) and there is some floral engravings in the mechanism in which strings are attached.
    I know this is not much information here but if anyone here could lead me into right direction;which brand this bass could be,value etc. I´d be thankful.
    Thanks in advance!

2. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Hi Saxman,

If you can post some pics, that would help. The best answer is to find a bass luthier in your area who can appraise it properly. If you tell us where you're from, we'll tell you who the local luthiers are.
    G/L!
    John

3. saxman

saxman

Apr 22, 2003
    Thanks for your answer,John! I will take it to a person who knows about basses in next few days.
    As for pics,unfotunately I don´t own a digicam.
    I just find it a bit odd that there is no brand name at all on the instrument?

4. The "made in Western Germany" Label means that it was built 1962 or later. If it is in English, that means that it is most probably a factory, mass produced bass. From your description of the color, it sounds like an old Hofner I used to play. Of course this is all blindfold test information and without seeing it, I can take no responsibility for my hypothesis. ;)

5. Actually, In the USA, you may find "made in Western Germany" labels any time from about 1945 to 1990.

For you trivia buffs - if you find a bass (in USA) with an original label that has "made in ____", it was made after 1910. That was when the US government passed the a law requiring country of origin labels on imported products.