Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please identify this Fender P-bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, Oct 31, 2005.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Ebay link

It's a '99 USA with PASSIVE Lace Sensors... one P, one J. I think that's too late a serial to be a P-bass Plus. But I can't figure out what the hell it is... I did not think that post early 90s Fender basses were equipped with Lace Sensors but the guy claims it's all stock. I've owned a couple of early 90s Fender Jazz Bass Plus basses w/ active Lace Sensors and liked the pickups but I don't know if I'll like the passive Lace pickups. I'm used to LOUD basses... my G&L L2000 has dual humbuckers and my Am. Fender Dlx Jazz has an 18 volt preamp. Both are loud basses and I really need to be able to cut through a mix. So are these passive Lace Sensors going to be loud enough, I am wondering...

2. they're both US Precision Plus basses.
    passive, PJ lace sensors, fine tuner bridge, 22frets, skunk stripe, headstock trussrod adjust. I've got one.

AFAIK they stopped making them in 1993.
    the ebay one looks like the machinehead buttons have been replaced- they should be like in the ad vene nemesis posted- an elephant ear profile.

3. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Stopped making them in '93? That is weird because the Ebay one's serial # would seem to indicated '99?

Oh well, auction's done now, I did not bid because there was a sizeable nick in the finish visible in the pictures yet when I asked the guy to describe the issues with the bass all he said was "a few scratches" and did not answer even 25% of my other detailed questions. Did not seem like a reliable seller.