1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Please identify this Spector model for me.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tumeni Notes, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes

Jan 2, 2009
    I found this Rush "Cinderella Man" bass cover on the web and was very impressed with the Spector "growling" sound.

At first I thought he boosted Geddy's playing and was simply fingering the bass since the tone sounds so good.

Thus, I am interested in getting more information on Spector basses. Can anyone tell me what model he is playing and the pickup types it has?

Thanks in advance.

You Play Along! - Cinderella Man - Rush - bass/vocal cover

2. I really don't think those are stock. First off,it's a Spector 8-string bass,and the pole pieces are exposed. I don't ever recall seeing a Spector that's stock with those type of pups. Maybe they (Spector) do with the 8-string basses. Haven't seen enough of 'em to know off the top of my head.
    Great tone,though.

3. Also,I would think,with it being an 8-string,it'd be a US model. I don't ever recall a Czech-made 8-string.

4. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes

Jan 2, 2009
    This is why I love TalkBass.

Giantbaba, I linked to the King's X video and sure enough, it is the same bass player on my original link (i.e. Spector2112).

Anyway, this is what he said about the bass:

Yup. Years ago I'd converted my regular old Spector NS-2A into an 8-string. The planet's first and only as far as I've been able to tell.
    Then converted it back to to a 4 when it became my main (only) bass.
    But in preparation for an upcoming collab, I decided to bust out the old parts, found an 8-string set on the cheap (only used the octaves...the main strings are still my Elixers), and adjusted the truss rod...A LOT! Stay tuned to see it in a full band collab of the song _______ by _________!!
    Yes, really!
    So in the mean time, here's a quick vid of me butchering It's Love by King's X. (note to self..LEARN a song before posting it....). Yes, I know Doug Pinnick uses a 12er. Want to loan me one? Oh, and it's in Drop D. I likes me some Drop D on an 8-string.

However, 5 months ago he stated:

Thanks man! Sorry, no Jeremy... this bass is back to a 4 string again. The truss rod just can't handle the added tension of the extra strings anymore!

However, I am now moving Spector basses to the top of my wish list!!

5. Spector2112

Spector2112

Jan 7, 2011
    Michigan
    Hey guys, I just noticed this thread.
    Thanks for the compliments on the tone, its always cool to be recognized for things like that.
    @Tumeni Notes...Spector has only made one 8-string bass in their history, and it was a custom one-off bass for Billy Sherwood. I didn't know that when I converted my late 80's Korean made NS-2A to an 8er.
    The pickups are passive SeymourDuncan quarterpounders, wired together, one volume, one tone, and one of the knobs is just there to fill a hole.
    Spectors are fantastic basses, but please don't use my videos (especially the ones done when as an 8er) as pure examples of what "actual" Spectors sound like. My bass is best described as a SINO...SpectorIn Name Only!
    Thanks again, and start saving for a spector....I am! (Need more!)