Please - if you have a Stingray - just tell me.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skel, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    If you have a Stingray - do you use the attenuated input on your amp? Are there players out there who *do not* use the attenuated input and get away with it?

2. I don't. I just turn down my gain if I feel it's biting too hard. BUT...I play a tube amp, so I can overdrive my preamp and it won't sound terrible.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It doesn't really matter in most cases. Like Mo' says, just turn down the output on your bass if things get out of hand.
  4. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Basically, the attenuated input does the same thing as turning the gain down on a regular input. You shouldnt put so much thought into this kinda thing, skel. If the attenuated input sounds better, then use it! that's all that matters.
  5. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Dan1099 - thanks for keeping me sane! As you can tell - I'm the keyed up type. It really does sound great to me with the attenuated input - so I'll just use it.

6. I don't use the attentuated input on my GK700 RB-II. I've slammed the input on that amp without the pad in and it never seems to clip??? The manual says it should be very hard to clip and I'd say they're right.

7. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Regular input for me on Hartke 5000 - no clipping problems at moderate bass EQ settings (SR4 3 band).
  8. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I only use the attenuated input if there's unavoidable clipping taking place. Otherwise I just plug into the 'normal' one. No problems.

SWR SM-900, btw.
  9. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Hmm. Well I feel much more "secure" now!
    Thanks to all who replied.

10. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    What he said.

SWR 350.