Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please inform me.....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chips, Jul 3, 2005.

1. gday guys,

ive got a couple of questions for you...
    1) Whats the purpose of a DI in your effects chain?.. like what does it do and how can it improve your sound?

2)Why have a compressor? i mean, to me, a compressor limits your frequency range (ie. getting rid of highs asnd lows).

3)Using a compressor or something else like an eq pedal, isnt that sort of cheating to get a good tone bby using effects? some people may find nothing wrong with that, i just dont think its right for some reason lol

4)What does a pre-amp do?

cheers in advance, im going to start building up my artillery soon so i just wanted to find a few things out.

Peace
    Chips :bassist:

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

1- A DI is used mainly for sending your signal to a PA/mixer system.

2- A compressor doesn't limit high and low frequencies, it boosts weak signal(volume) and limits high signals going into the amp. This takes away peaks, and helps when you aren't loud enough, but it takes away the ability to play with strong accidentals since they will be less noticed.

3- Using an EQ helps you get many and many different tones which you can't just get by using your fingers.

4- A preamp is the part of the complete amplifier that changes the sound (with EQ mainly). The other half is the power amp, that is what actually amplifies the signal. Amp heads include a preamp and a power amp, but there are also seperate preamps.

3. the finicky electronics geek in me just wishes to clarify something;

a compressor doesn't boost anything, it only attenuates. It's just that it attenuates low energy signals less than it does high energy signals. So, it could be perceived that it boosts low energy signals.

I hope no ones compressor takes away the ability to play accidentals! ;)

Some compressors limit transients, sometimes causing a loss of attack and punch. However, a decent compressor can be adjusted (by someone knowledgable in the art) so that it does not do this.

A DI (direct injection) box simply takes your relatively high impedance, unbalanced guitar signal and outputs a low impedance, balanced signal specifically for inputing to a mixing desk. A vanilla flavoured DI does nothing to your signal, however, many bass DI boxes incorporate some tone shaping.

Now, about using effects:

Compressors are invaluable in live situations and no amount of technique could possibly do the same job. Humanly impossible - hence the need for compressors. Also, the dynamic range of many recording media just aren't up to handling an uncompressed bass without clipping - hence it's a necessary evil - depending on your viewpoint!

EQ is also invaluable in live situations. Many people use the EQ on their amps to shape their tone, but I beleive this is a secondary function. The main purpose for EQ is to balance out the frequency response of the room - just as it is for the PA guy! (Sadly, not many PA guys realise this either!) Having said that, EQ is also a valuable tool in recording, allowing one instrument to produce many different tones.

If we were all as rich as Sultans, then we'd have a different bass for each tone that we want. Sadly, most of us can only afford one or two basses but we still want some tonal variety.

Is having two pickups and some EQ on your bass cheating? No way! I say use all the tools at your disposal; this includes finger technique AND electronic gadgets!

4. thanks guys. i knew what a DI is, i had just heard a couple of people speaing about them in the fx boards which i dont/didnt quite understand the purpose of that, esp if ur amp has a balanced line out. i wasnt saying that using EQ is cheating, im a massive user of EQ (studying audio engineering) and using it on my amp, but after thinking about my post i came to realise a few purposes, lol.

Peace
    Chips:bassist:

5. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    in my setup I use my bass eq to acheive the tone and the amp eq to acheive the frequency balance, Am I right?

6. stu FORD

stu FORD

May 22, 2004
    while an effect that prevents you from playing notes out of key may be handy, i dont believe its been invented, and im pretty sure it wouldnt be called a compressor.

i think you mean dynamics, which is totally different from accidentals

7. :eyebrow:

Almost all compressors have a make up gain control (although some pedal compressors might not) The whole point of compression is the ability to boost a signal by limiting the dynamics
    :D

8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I did mean dynamics, I just couldn't come up with the word.

9. I wouldn't say "the whole point", but it does not change the fact that compressors don't boost.

Yes, they are often built with a compensating amplifier integrated, but it's technically the amplifier that does the boosting and not the compressor.

again, I'm just sticking to my guns because I'm a finicky electronics engineer who sees the individual electronics building blocks rather than the entire device. :)