Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please look at this cabinet. Are these stats possible?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    http://www.speakerhole.com/Store/product/view.cfm?ProductID=788

This cabinet is technically a pa cabinet. It claims to go from 35hz to 20kz at 104 db.

But it only has a 30oz magnet... I am getting kind of irate looking at so many cabs that claim 100+ db when the other specs don't make sense to me for that level of efficiency.

Assuming the 35hz is a typo, could such a small magnet produce 104db of efficiency at any frequency?

2. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Gabu I would bet money that they aren't 104 db at 35 hz. I am sure the db measurement was taken at a higher frequency. You may try to get a hold of Madison Sound to get the stats for that setup. They may have more specific info.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The 104db is menaingless because it doesn't say with what amount of wattage or at what frequency.

Assuming they cross over to the horn at a low enough frequency you could easily get 104 dB at frequencies of 1 Khz and above with 1 watt of power, since tweeters are very efficient compared to that 12" woofer.

You're not thinking of this as a low budget bass cab? Forget that 35 Hz measurement, any $129 cab with a 12 that can really hit 35 Hz would put the serious pro audio guys out of business. I'd be surpised if it had much output below 85 Hz, never mind 35 Hz.

4. Ok.. the stats are possible. :)

but i think they mean 104 dB max SPL, instead of 104 dB sensitivity..

104 dB sensitivity is possible.. but not on $ 129 speakers..

for comparision : the Ampeg SVT-210HE has 119 dB max SPL..

so yeah.. those stats are perfectly possible :)
    it's all in the interpretation i think :)