1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please Look This '72 P Bass Over

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brokencode, Jun 27, 2014.

1. brokencode

brokencode Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Allen, TX
    I'm about to pull the trigger on this '72 P Bass. Original parts including gray bottom pickups.
    Weight 9.0lbs. It may have been refinished in the 70s but its very old if it was, and in a Fender color (Mocha/walnut), lots of checking! It's a two hour drive to check it out. Does it look okay? Throw comments and concerns my way please.

72pbass_zpse1cf5bc8.

72pbassbody_zps4d8fdd07.

72pbassbadyrear_zps128581ce.

A few tuner screws missing. should I be concerned about that?

72pbassheadrear_zps6d47cd2f.

72pbasshead_zps77e42628.

Looks like a wear stripe

72pbassneck_zps72879cbe.

Last one

72pbassneck3_zpsd26c2bc3.

2. Cat A

Cat A

May 3, 2014
    It doesn't look like the original pick guard. There should be holes for the thumb rest and pickup cover. Maybe I just can't see them on the photo.

3. brokencode

Aug 28, 2009
    Allen, TX
    I just asked for closeup photos of the wear spots.. Y'all okay with them?

72pbasswearcloseup_zps9ff16fa0.

72pbasswear_zpscce374dd.

4. brokencode

Aug 28, 2009
    Allen, TX
    Thanks... didn't see that. I just fired off that question to the owner.

5. Cat A

Cat A

May 3, 2014
    No real problem if its a WD but it puts leverage your way on price. 100% original means something if thats what he's trying to say it is.

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Why are the strings so askew?
    72pbassneck3_zpsd26c2bc3.

7. brokencode

Aug 28, 2009
    Allen, TX
    Just got this reply: the pickguard is an 80s era replacement and the volume pot was replaced at some point (tone pot original).

8. bassrich

bassrich

Nov 20, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    If the missing screw holes are not wallered out you can replace the screws that should not be a problem. Just make sure the electronics are sound and the frets are not worn too badly and you should be good to go

9. Cat A

Cat A

May 3, 2014
    uploadfromtaptalk1403881863405. I don't know if you can see it very well but that's my 79 neck and it kinda has a hint of that discoloration in the same spot as yours. Whatever it is doesn't seem to be a problem but likely its just gone like that by itself, noones worked on it or anything.
    See if you can find any little hairlines in the wood around the back stripe and up around the nut. The wood behind the nut can get chipped away leaving bare nut, erm, that happened to my 74 neck.

10. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Also, these basses have come down quite a bit in price. I sold my all original '73 for 900$ (The pickup needed a re-wind)
    How much is he asking?

11. Cat A

Cat A

May 3, 2014
    True, I got mine for a grand shipped. It was pretty butch.
    It doesn't have much to do with what people try to sell them on ebay for either.

It isn't showroom but I'd bet it's a thumper though, great sounding guitars, great for recording too.
    Obviously.

12. brokencode

Aug 28, 2009
    Allen, TX
    $1500... too much? He's telling me if it wont sell for that, he may be parting it out soon as the parts are worth a lot more than $1500.

13. Cat A

Cat A

May 3, 2014
    I'd be staying under 1300 and thinking about fuel cost and what hard case it has

14. brokencode

Aug 28, 2009
    Allen, TX
    Here is the case

72pbasscase_zpsf9bf2c59.

15. brokencode

Aug 28, 2009
    Allen, TX
    He says it was the camera angle. I got another photo just now.

72pbasscloseup_zps58feb33e.

16. Cat A

Cat A

May 3, 2014
    That case looks original.
    Once I bought a 78 for 1200AU with no case and moved it on a year later for 1600, these basses might be going cheapish lately but its hard to see them going any lower than they're at. I don't think you would lose money on it, like a solid at best investment.

17. brokencode

Aug 28, 2009
    Allen, TX
    Thanks so much.... I'm liking your under $1300 comment!

Cat A likes this.
  18. I was wondering the same thing... Nut or bridge misaligned? Also the missing tuner screws. I'd bet that the holes need to be filled and new holes drilled. Why else would screws not be there? My opinion - I'd pass on it. But if I had to have it, I'd pay no more than $1200.

19. Cat A

Cat A

May 3, 2014
    I'd say one more thing, you should ask if you can check the general health of the big neck anchor screws and their holes.
    One of my Jazz basses had a neck screw that had done itself out of grip and just kept turning. Fixed it by shoving a toothpick in, but still, that is a thing that I guess Fender neck joins can do.
    My 74 had the same skewed string thing happening and I was able to just shift the neck up a tiny bit while it was bolted.
    The heel route might not flush with the bottom side of the neck either, they sort of got a bit lazy making bodies in the 70s.
    But for all that they are beasts, you'll probably want to buy it :)

20. bass_case

bass_case Maintain low tones. Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2013
    Miami, FL
    Sure, he could part it out, but that takes a lot of time and dealing multiple buyers. Cash talks...

Other than the new pick guard it looks authentic but I would want to see the neck pocket, check neck and truss rod, etc. etc.