Please Name This Advertising Music

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Boplicity, May 1, 2001.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

At the risk of sounding like a nutcase, I just have to have the record of the music that provides the background of the new GatorAide advertisement on TV.

GatorAidee, in their infinite wisdom have chosen an exhilarating funk song, fabulously arranged to accompany vollyball players and soccer players and various other athletes performing incredible leaps and feats of athleticism in balletic slow motion, and, of course, swashing down GatorAide. I don't even care; all I care about is hearing more of that song.

I wouldn't consider asking, but I think I've heard the song way back in my past. I don't think it was written just for the ad. So, if any of you have seen the ad or come across the ad, would you please tell me the name of the song and who played the original? I'd really appreciate your help.

2. JO-

Can't help you with the song, but just wanted to let you know that you aren't the only one who chases after ad jingles. I heard this fantastic blues (bass, drum, guitar) a la SRV on a beer commercial some time ago (not sure if it was US or Canadian-all I remember is a dock on a lake setting) and I'm still trying to figure out who these guys are that played it.

3. Boplicity

That is a relief. I was beginning to think I must be kind of eccentric or even just plain nuts. Oh, I can't help you with your song either, but I'll be on the look out. If I see the ad, I'll pay attention.

4. You people are nuts! Listening to advertising jingles.

But seriously,

Sorry JO, I can't help you either, but I listen to music in ads all the time. Heck, most of the time I don't even hear about the advertised product, because I'm tuned into the music so much.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My fav? Mitsubishi using Crazy Train by Ozzy!

There's been some competent stuff in adds, that for the life of me I can't identify (most likely house bands), but dig.

And I just noticed, most comercials use bass as music. Seriously so man use just a bass riff that it's kinda scary.
  6. Boplicity

Brendan, the new Nissan truck ad has some cool Stone Temple Pilots stuff in the background. First you just barely hear it as if the truck is far away. Then just as the truck comes blasting out of the mud and fog, the STP music blasts loud and clear too. A truly perfect choice for that aggressive looking pick up truck.

Too, I loved the many renditions of "Like a Rock" Chevy pick up truck ads carried for years. Some were really galvanizing, but some were lame.

Oh, I have to do some 'fessing up, here. My degree is in advertising, so I get glued to ads I feel are especially interesting.

Herm, I'm like you. It is the music that nails my attention. If the music is horrible, I suffer. If it is especially well-chosen or appropriate, I'm hooked. I may not even remember the ad, but I remember the music. Same with many movies, too.

Finally, Xavier, I've been thinking about your ad. If it wasn't SRV, it may have been Kenny Wayne Shepard, who comes as close as anyone to the authentic SRV sound. Another possibility is almost anything on which Chris Layton and Tommy Shannon, SRV's rhythm section, play, because they were a large part of his sound. Of course, it may have just been some well chosen studio musicians who devised a SRV generic sound for the royalties or residuals need to be paid then to the Vaughan estate.

7. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Jason: I know the Gatorade ad you're talking about and I was wondering the same thing myself. Sounds like late 70s or early 80s disco funk in the Ohio Players/Gap Band/EWF vein. Can't pin down the name of the song.

As far as SRV-using ads go, the only one I know of the Nissan Xterra ad featuring his great version of "Voodoo Chile".
  8. there is also a commercial with SRV's mary had a little lamb riff, don't think its SRV playing it.
  9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Jason - Why don't you take a crack by asking them at the Gatorade website? If you find out, please post again to let us know who it is that's been driving you nuts.

My corporate experience says if you tell them you coach a soccer team that downs gallons of their product every practice, I'm sure they'll answer. In fact, you'll probably get a load of coupons for the stuff.

Sorry I couldn't nail it. I don't see much TV.
  10. Boplicity

Rickbass, I took your advice. It took me a while to find the site, as I was spelling the name wrong. It is:

They have a feedback area. You have to give them a lot of personal info just to write an e-mail, but I want the song so badly I complied. Then I wrote them a flattering e-mail about the advertisement and told them where and when I saw it, so they know how effective the ad is. I hope they will send me the information.

11. ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM! haha thats such a catchy ad..yeah i listen to ad music to, its great! and your right about a lot of bass!! all the time theres bass its great....

let us know when you find you gatorade song man!
  12. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah, FUNK, but that "zoom zoom" boy really creeps me out. Can't you see him whispering "I see dead people."

J.OLD, Can you hum a few bars?! What goes on in the commercial? I mean, what's the theme. Gatorade commercials tend to look the same after you've seen enough.

P.S. I loved there "Be Like Mike" ads. That's a catchy song. And I'm sorry to say, but the Budweiser "This Bud's For You" song is catchy. The chorus is alright, but I like the verse. Gap has used some good music in the last several years as well. Oh, and what's that thing about Nike and the Beatles?! ;)
  13. Boplicity

Yup., that Zoom, Zoom boy looks like he should be in a horror movie. He looks like a very young vampire. Or a kid in "The Adams Family. "I don't get it. What is Mazda doing with that particular boy, especially dressed the way he is?

OK, Jazzbo. I tried to catch the lyrics of this inspiring song from Gatorade. The ad is their best ever. I think they must have a new agency. Anyway, here's my best effort to grasp the lyrics.

"If you're working hard, don't let it slide."
    "If you want to win, you have to take it higher. Higher. Higher."

Then the band goes into an exhilarating jam similar to what you'd expect from The Gap Band. Way too short. But it is an ad, after all.

14. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    If that is Gap Band, it's not one of there's I know. Of course, as much as I like them, a lot of their songs sound very similar, so if it sounds like them, there's a good chance it is. I watched the NBA playoff game last night hoping to catch it, Gatorade commercials are synonymous with NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB games. Nothing. Now you really have me curious.
  15. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Funny story,
    I was in a band in high school. The keyboard player had an "original" tune he wanted us to work on. Low and behold, I realized that he ripped it off from - A PLAYGIRL MAGAZINE TV commercial. It was on cable late at night of course. Really blew my mind.
  16. rickbass

Zulu - That's kewl. I think Jason heard something that's got her creative juices going here. I hope we can nail it.

You never know when a great hook is going to come up and bit you in the keister. I took that sample of "All Your Base Are Belong To Us" and laid it over the main riff of Gary Numan's "Cars." It cracks people up but it still sounds cool.
  17. Boplicity

Somebody somewhere, in a magazine or on TV, said there is no such thing as an original song. All songs contain something that has been composed before.

Afterall, in our chromatic scale we have only twelve notes. I know that gives an almost infinite amount of combinations, but over the centuries, there has bound to have been repetition, if only in short phrases.

I'm beginning to suspect that the song I'm hunting was a studio fabrication of musicians trying for a Gap Band or similar sound.

By the way, Gatorade has not responded to my e-mail. It might take a few weeks though, to get a response...if ever.
  18. rickbass

Then there's been no new literature for a very long time...same alphabet, same words.

That's my take on it, anyway.
  19. Boplicity

LOL. Good point. But how many new plots, I mean truly NEW plots have there been in recenthistory?
  20. Boplicity

Just as an update for anyone interested, Gatorade DID answer my e-mail inquiry about the background music in their ad. They were most gracious and said they were "delighted" I liked their ad. They regretted, however, that they were unable to find out what the music was or who played it. Also, they didn't send me any coupons...which is all right, as I do not drink Gatorade or other sports drinks or even soft drinks.

Furthermore, wouldn't you just know it? Gatorade changed their commercials this week! The music I loved is gone. Maybe the ad will be resurrected some down down the road. Or maybe I will run across the music elsewhere. Sigh.