Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

please need help with angled headstock

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Feb 12, 2005.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I am trying to do my first angled headstock. I have the neck blank glued up what kind of saw do you use to get that kind of sharp angle. :eyebrow: I am looking at page 83 of Melvyn Hiscock’s book. My table saw or band saw won’t do it. :bawl: Any links to doing this or any info would be great…..t

2. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
  3. I've seen another "angle" on a table saw jig and it was pretty neat. The difference was that instead of angling the stock through the blade on it's side in a jig, the blade is tipped over and the blank is then passed through vertically. By progressively shaving off more stock, you can get a very accurate and clean angle.

4. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Hambone: That would be holding the entire neck vertically? How would you stabilize something that tall? Seems like it would be unweildy but much, much easier to do than figuring out the angled jig for the other way. Just wondered ... :(

5. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Bass Kahuna looks like I have my work cut out for me...thanks ....t