PLEASE new bass suggestions? (info inside)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Turbo, May 18, 2005.

1. Turbo

Mar 17, 2004

I like to play verrry heavy stuff (mostly black metal) and I dont want it to cost more than $1000. I also would prefer to have a 5-String so I dont have to keep changing tunings :rollno:. If this makes a difference, I LOVE :hyper: the way Nagash's bass sounds in old Dimmu Borgir/The Kovenant.

so PLEASE give a suggestion.
  2. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Rex Brown's custom Spector might be something to look into. Warwicks are good for metal, too.
  3. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    If your after an old school Dimmu type tone I would say no to either the R.B Spector or the Warwick, though fro different reasons.

I find Warwicks are too growly for black metal, which is harsh enough on the guitar end, for bass you want punchy but smooth. This is my taste though, and you should try to play as many basses as you can before buying anything. Warwick might work for you.

Spectors I find to be more versitile, while they certainly growl they can also be made much more balanced and musical, and that's why I prefer them to Warwicks. However the Rex Brown sig has a different tone, one that is too "hey look at me, I play bass for pantera RARGH" for my tastes. Also I find them unbalanced and heavy, but you might like them. Definately check out a couple of Spectors if you can, the Euro bolt ons start under $1000US and are very nice basses. My next bass will most likely be some flavor of Spector as I am pinning for a fretless 5 and they will do fretless on almost any of their models.

You should also try and check out the LTD line from ESP. I use an ESP F205 and love it, for me this was THE bass. When I was shopping for a then unknown new bass, my budget actually went to $1500, and while I found several basses that were AS GOOD as the ESP, I found none I liked BETTER until I came across a $2200 Spector euro neck thru. None of the AS GOOD basses were under $1000.

Then I saw the F on blowout (clearing inventory for the new models) from for $300. This bass has served me well through three bands (a technical death act, a prog/doom act and now my melodic black metal band) as well as a number of fill in gigs, my college jazz ensemble and two CD recordings in the hands of other bassists. I am quite happy with what I got.

The new F255 ($550-600US) is just as nice, they swapped the Mahagony for Agathis, but made it neck thru instead of bolt on. Everything else is the same and I wasn't able to hear a difference when I tried the new one. It feels a bit different though. The only thing I would change are the pickups, and I am swapping the HZs on my 205 for DC40s soon.

If you want a low B tunning and don't think you really need the top string you might want to look at the DF404, which is a neck thru F series 4 string tuned BEAD and equipped with active DC35s. The only downside to this guitar is a gaudy tribal neck inlay...if you can live with that its a very nice looking bass.

Also you might want to fill in your profile, sometimes people can give you better advice when we know what kind of amp and effects you plan on using, etc.
  4. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Seems like almost every heavy metal bassist these days plays a Warwick.

I still love the growl of my Ric, but then I was always partial to Chris Squire's old school bass tone.
  5. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I'm with Tash. Old school black metal tends to sound pretty muddy/grindy/harsh as far as guitars go and a dark growly Warwick like the Thumb or Corvette Standard would just make things muddier and your bass'd get lost in the mix. I love the sound of my Corvette Standard, though.

A flame-maple bodied Corvette Proline or a swamp-ash bodied DoubleBuck may fit the bill better since the brightness of the maple or ash can offset the darkness of the ovangkol and wenge, tonewise.

A bass tone that's clean and cuts like a hot knife through butter would serve you well.

Thus I too recommend something akin to a Spector or ESP/LTD bass, since EMG pickups give you that clean slicing ability. Spectors are also versatile in that you can access a wide variety of tones by playing with the knobs. Spectors can growl pretty nicely too, if that's called for.

As far as 5-strings go, Spector and Warwick are pretty consistent as far as low B quality's concerned. Warwick low B strings sound darn good for 34" scale basses and Spector 5-strings are 35" scale, which many prefer for 5-string.
  6. Turbo

Mar 17, 2004
    I find my F-255 to be WAY too growly for things. :scowl:
    I played the F-205 after buying the 255 and it sounded more punchy :crying:. Consider yourself LUCKY, Tash.

By the way I worded things, it made me sound like I only liked old Dimmu. This isn't true, I LOVE all Dimmu. I just like Nagash's sound slightly more than Vortex's. :bassist:
  7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I had a friend in a really heavy band that swore by Carvin basses. Always sounded good to me.
  8. Turbo

Mar 17, 2004
    I've played a friend's Carvin but it was too growly too :crying:
  9. Turbo

Mar 17, 2004
    I wish there were more metalheads here :scowl:
  10. zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    the talk about various tonewoods is great but i was coming to understand that the wood choice made up only about 20percent of the final sound. The lion share goes to the electronics..if you have active pickups then you will cut through the mix because you can control the sound with much more effect.
  11. Turbo

Mar 17, 2004
    ^ yeah your right
    I guess if I had an AWESOME sounding 4 string i could sacrifice changing the strings :bassist:
  12. Turbo

Mar 17, 2004
    Anyone recomend any of the B.C. Rich's?
  13. form52

Mar 17, 2005

Absolutely not. IMO B.C.'s are the single most overated pieces of firewood ever made. I have never played one or heard one that I liked. (speaking only on the basses here)

ESP's are great the LTD's have the potential to be pretty good. If you go for the LTD play as many of them as you can. Quality varies from bass to bass.

If you can get past how f'ugly it is, the Jackson Antigravity bass sounds great. I just can't get past how hidious it is.

Also the Ibanez SR405, or BTB405. I own the 6 string BTB and it get a huge range of tones. the SR series basses are also really nice and have a great sound.
  14. I played in a local deathmetal band using either a rickenbacker i used to have or a fretless fender jazz bass :) I don't think it truly matters, people can say whatever they want, i'd just make sure you get something that has really sturdy frets, stays in tune for a long while, and sounds good to you. A used rickenbacker might be up your alley, especially considering the neck is super fast, though a tad small imho.
  15. Well, allow me to try and speak for the metal guys here...

When it comes to playing metal, bass manufacturer is not as big a deal as skill, and what else youre using, ie cabs and efx.

I DO suggest you also check out the ESP signature series of Tom Araya. I mean come on, you dont get harder (nor cooler) than Slayer man! Now, his bass retails for 3500, bit too pricey i know. BUT there are alternatives, the TA-600 and the TA-200 which retail for 1100, and 800 respectively. The only main diff. is that the TA sig has active DC35's from EMG, and a nice EQ. You're not gonna get that with the other two, sadly to say.

Scary to say, you may want to try a RIC. The bassist from Crisis plays one, and it sounds super sweet.

I also reccomend the ESP Anniversary special B2005. neckthrough, mahogony body, ebony fb, EMG DC35's with EMG active B64 EQ. Retails for a cool thousand. If you dont have the pockets to hold that amount of cash, then try the ESP Viper 254, has two EMG DC35 exposed pole pickups and EMG B64 active EQ. String through, Set Neck, and mahogony with maple and walnut neck featuring a rosewood fb.

If all else fails, try a Peavey Millenium 5 Plus, the bass that John Campbell of Lamb of God plays. It kick some serius f'ing ass.

I hope I was some help to you, if not, sorry I ranted when I shouldnt have, lol :)

16. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    I'm here. Just a matter of time until Brenden gets here too.
    I play in a death metal band that also plays some black metal. Stuff like Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult.
    I play a fender jazz bass and a schecter 4 as well. They get the sound down very well. With black metal, you really don't want too much bottom end, like you find in warwicks. Try a fender jazz bass and boost the treble, cut the mids and put some light distorsion on it. It should really get the sound you are looking for.
  17. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Unlike form52, I play and recommend BC Rich bass guitars. The newer ones are not as good as the older models but even some of them are pretty decent.

I play anything rock related and have played in a thrash metal band and done some bass work for guys that are into the black/ death metal genres. I have always gotten compliments on my tone. I say check out some BC's but make sure they are the NJ series or USA models. Unfortunately its hard to find them to try them :meh: Don't waste your time on the Bronze or Platinum series stuff, trust me.

So...yes, someone does recommend BC! :smug:

On tuning, a four string tuned BEAD will do the job just fine if you don't find a fiver you like.

For other choices, let your ears decide. If it sounds and plays good to you, its good. Anyways your rig, strings, technique, etc. all affect your overall tone as well, not just your bass. Good luck.
  18. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Hey, I play a warwick corvette std. in a hardcore band which is obviously a different sound than you're looking for but I thought I'd pitch in. Being a big fan of the local metal scene, I've been noticing a lot of ibanez, peavey, and schechter basses being used by death metal bands with either 5 or 6 strings. Although I believe bass manufacturers are important in some way, when you're playing those grueling sixteenth note riffs at a billion beats per minute I don't think the name on the headstock of your bass will get in your way. I was told to concentrate more on feel when I bought my bass not because I don't care about sound (I really do) but because with the fast music that I like to play and many others around here do it's really the feel that matters when it comes down to it. I chose the warwick because i have unnaturally large hands and the thick neck helps keep them in order without feeling scrunched up and without them tripping over one another. So I guess I'm sort of lucky that I found a bass that not only feels good but also sounds great in my opinion. WHen you find an instrument that feels right when you play it, you can always swap out the pickups or add a new preamp to change the sound to some extent. I've noticed however that most of the basses where a lot of care has been put into the shaping of the neck , the dimensions of the neck, and the dressing of the frets, they usually sound pretty darn good because you're now talking about a quality instrument and not some 200 dollar hunk o wood with frets sticking a quarter inch out of the fingerboard and a wimpy sound that wouldn't even pass for pile-driving music.
    I guess what I'm saying is that feel is something you should definitely be aware of when trying out basses because it's a crucially important component especiallly wiht our fast music.
    Don't get me wrong and say that the sound of the instrument is not important too, because it is, I'm just trying to clue you in on what else to look for when trying out instruments.
    Good Luck.
  19. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    However, Campbell is a Warwick endorsee these days and plays the Warwick Vampyres. Though he did play Peavey basses before he signed up with Warwick. That is a Millennium in the "As the Palaces Burn" video.

Either way, I stick with my recommendation of ESP/LTD, Spector, Schecter, or any bass with EMGs to get a smooth cutting tone.

Or a Peavey Fury. 3 band EQ, high-end electronics, versatile tone, great feel...
  20. Nikolai

Apr 20, 2004
    in my deathmetal band I use a warwick dolphin sn, very versatile, but some people might think too growly..