Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please no!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boofis, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    On first glance it looks OK... apart from the string spacing, tacky bling-bling gold hardware and that horrendous neck/body joint... :D I wonder how it plays though?

Russ :bassist:

2. I played one of these in Korea; they sold new for around $400-450. Not a good quality instrument. Normally I don't like to handle that much bass but I had to at least pick it up. It was very awkward for me; that probably wasn't the bass' fault though.

At least no one bought this one.

3. I bought one out of curiosity 2 years ago. Besides the crappy strings and the so-so bridge, the bass wasn't bad at all, especially for that price. The pickups were pretty hot and the neck straight as an arrow. Had to get used to the narrow string spacing, though.

4. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Galveston's are no worse than any other bass in that price range and better than some.

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I like the Bat Man inlays!! :D

6. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    I thought i was catching on to this new fangled basses and that an eight was a four doubled (like a 12 string guitar).
    Obviously this has eight separate strings.
    What are they? Is there a site that goes over such things.
    And can anyone actually play the 12 with its tripled strings? Why not a doubled six?

7. Are you guys serious?!? So they are as good as Conklin GT-7s?
    Thanks
    Troy

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Highly doubt they are as good as a Conklin.

9. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    yikes!

[​IMG]

f

10. I guess that's not an "all-access" neck heel design then... :meh:

11. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Oh no, no, no. But for a $350 bass, not bad....;)

12. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I think its a $400 band fine to play that high up the neck on a 8-string.....:D

13. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Other than the neck-dive, its pretty easy to play. I DON"T PLAY IT STANDING UP!! It'll break your left wrist! :D IMO, its the most fun bass I've got, just not the best.
    I've seen a doubled six. I think it may have a Warrior....

14. there were a few threads about the Galveston 8 a year or two ago-
    after viewing them I had a dream/nightmare I bought one and was agonising over finding replacement pickups, bridge, nut etc. and wishing I'd never bought it-
    a G.A.S. nightmare, if you will- I've had others about finding forgotten flawed basses in wardrobes just after buying another new bass....

15. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Thats wild! I just had one of those last night. Dreamed I bought a Series II off Ebay and someone had removed the truss-rods, the frets, the electronics and all the hardware and I had no way to get my money back. Woke up feeling weird....