Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

please people do some research

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by demolition, May 30, 2004.

1. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    This is just a post to say that as a bass tech and a player I see so many people who have'nt a clue on the actual bass itself(not the music),
    In the retail end of it I saw so many people get ripped off because they dont know what they are buying(then getting)they buy a bass not for the playability,but for the color,or brand or name ETC.
    One should learn what a neck should look like with a decent amount of relief,or to much as well,this will help you when you are browsing for a new axe you can tell if it has a bad neck.
    Then learn to see a high frett(or fretts)it will be easy once you can tell the neck setting.
    I'm not saying everyone should become a luthier or a bass tech,but at least be able to tell the quality of the bass you are about to buy,most retail shops are comission based and the salesman will tell you anything he can to make a sale.
    These small things can make a big difference when buying a bass,plus you can use your knowledge to haggle with the salesman if you know what is wrong with the bass you can get the price down ALOT :hyper: .
    I have learned all these lessons the hard way,but I now can find a gem in a pile of crap,the other day I bought a birdseye flame maple necked squier p-bass for 70.00$ and even the salesman did'nt know what the heck was so good about untill i showed him.KNOWLEDGE IS POWER :bassist:

2. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Perhaps you'de like to enlighten us on the finer points of how to tell a quality bass :) A checklist my good man!! Many TB'ers would love you for one :D

3. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    For real! A good checklist would win my vote for post of the year!

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Indeed. *starts a chant* "checklist, checklist..."

5. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    I have been playing for about twenty some years now and something I have always struggled with is how much relief is enough. I have read how to do it but I play pretty hard and it seems the "normal" relief is not enough for me. I would like to know how much is enough and how much is too much so I think a checklist would be great. The one exception was my Tobias Classic, I could set that thing up to the specs in the instruction manual and it was wonderful. Other basses I cannot say the same.

6. Mongeaux

Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    Its always been really hard for me to tell if a bass is good or not in the store. I hear some stores actually set up instruments before putting them on the floor but I have never seen such a store hah. Typically every bass I try has super high action and way to much relief. Of course I dont bother trying out higher end basses as I am poor like Africa. Its to the point where I automatically assume I will need to bring a new bass to a good tech and have the frets leveled. Even MIM Fenders play good once a real tech has gone over them.

7. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    I too agree with a good frett leveling with ANY new bass,(yes even a high end model will be a much happier bass),Now back to buying a bass,most stores purposefully dont set up basses/guitars for a few reasons.
    1 Being that they dont want the salesmen wasting sales time with an istrument when they could be making sales,and if theres no customers in the store, they want them to call their regulars at home and tell them about a new promotion(and a good salesman will do that without being told to)
    2 And also bass/guitar if set up properly will show faults if they have any, while a bass with high action/truss rod out of adj.will not.
    And what I mean by faults are>high fretts,bowed/back bowed necks(warped)un-even treble/low side on the neck,bridge action ETC.
    Now if you play a bass not set up one can only assume that it will be able to take a set up well and play nice,but if its set-up already you will see all its "issues"and here's where knowing what to look comes in handy.
    Is hard for me to make a "check-list" because i myself have to spend some time playing and looking down the neck of the bass to give an educated reading of its quality(or lack of).
    My best advice is to take someone with you who is a bit more experienced at this bass thing and keep your fingers crossed,no plan of attck is without flaw,I went over a few basses with a fine tune comb and still got caught off gaurd,but luckily I do my own bass work and got to the bottom of it rather quickly.
    Even if you dont have a friend to go with,have your teacher play it for you and check it out,unfortunately some teachers know less than some students so this is'nt foolproof either.
    There are also books and stuff to read,the net,remember any info is better than none,and thanks for trusting me with my opinion,it was'nt too long ago that I was'nt able to change my own strings,but with this site,and an awsome mentor,AND WE CANT FORGET MY FIRST JAZZ BASS(a mex of course)THAT DROVE ME TO LEARN QUICKLY ON THE FINE ART OF SET-UP AND REPAIR ! :bassist: