Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please, people! "MIJ" is not a nice word!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Gang, I'm finding I have to change at least a few posts a week to delete the word "MIJ" in reference to a bass made in Japan. A *lot* of people find this epithet to be as offensive as the "N" word - please be considerate to others of Japanese extraction!

2. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Just as a suggestion, the ol' MIJ acronym is a nice alternative. Pretty recognizable among musicians these days too I believe.

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    or "CIJ" since the basses are stamped "Crafted in Japan"

4. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I am Japanese and do not find the word offensive at all....oh well, to each his own....

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hmmm...how do you abreviate Japan then? I mean in reference to things outside of Bassdom? In emails and whatnot I would occasionally say US, Mex., Aus. etc when referring to those countries. Why not MIJ? I think it would be obvious whether or not you were using it in the sense of "I've played many MIJ. made basses." vs. "Those dirty japs!" (please don't be offended by that as I'm only illustrtating here). It just seems obvious to me if someone is using it as an epithet vs. using it because he/she is too lazy to type.

brad cook

6. I think that whether "MIJ" is derogatory or not may depend on where you live.

In the UK it doesn't seem to be viewed as so offensive. (Maybe because the people there often refer to themselves as "Brits")

Also, a few Japanese friends of mine don't find the term offensive.

But, probably better to avoid anyway as some people do find it offensive!

7. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Brad, I think the difference is that there's a history of the word "MIJ" being used as a slur in the US.

BTW, the postal abbreviation for Japan is "JP", I think.

8. what could be offensive about a non dirisive abbreviation
    scots
    yanks
    limeys
    frogs
    but as phogchris san says
    chacun son gout
    komban wa
    :cool:

9. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Actually, I've always been taught "Limey" and (particularly) "Frog" were not polite terms...

10. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Well I think when Japan is abbreviated there is a period after the "P". Without the period then it's probably an insult. But since punctuation on the internet is optional it might be hard to tell.

11. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i deal with Japanese vinyl LP's quite often.

the abbreviation for Japanese has been an issue in that realm too.

typically, Japan or Japanese is abbreviated:

JPN

f

12. Then save yourself the vowel and make it Jp. Simple enough.

Taken from Dictionary.com:
    MIJ
    n. Offensive Slang
    Used as a disparaging term for a person of Japanese birth or descent

13. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    There are NO bad words only bad intentions.

14. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I started this thread to address a situation here in the "Basses" forum. Other forums have their own mods and rules, and I wouldn't try to speak for them.

BS. If I "jokingly" called your mother a (insert favorite word for a woman with "loose morals"), you wouldn't be offended???

Some people are offended by the "J" word - I've gotten a few post reports and PMs about it.

Let's just try to use "MIJ", "CIJ", or "Japanese" here in "Basses", OK?

15. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Well, Im offended!! no one has mentioned spicks!!
    sorry, bad joke.. i am Cuban- i laugh at peoples ignorance-
    on a serious note, i applaud Heavyduty for being sensitive enough to ring this to light.. he's right. better to be aware-

16. Maybe it's just because Cornell is 1/3 Jewish, but when I see j-a-p I think "Jewish American Princess," which is not all that offensive.

"Nip" is a much, much worse word than "MIJ."

17. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    now , Peter- your sig under you name. i can see THAT getting you some feedback...

18. How did that become a derogatory term for Japanese anyways (considering its part of japanese)?

19. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I dunno, I think people can get overly sensitive and simply have no sense of humor. While I obviously am not in favor of people using racial slurs I think the use of "MIJ." for abbreviations should be acceptable. I mean the period is in there and everything. I honestly could be called a whole lot of names if people knew my ethnic background but you know...none of it would ever bother me no matter how bad it got. And that is simply because I am confident in who I am.

It's like Jerry Seinfeld said: "Aren't we getting a bit too sensitive here? If someone asks me 'which way to Israel' I dont fly off the handle!"

I think common courtesy and common sense would go a long way in issues like this.

20. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

No history yet in your schooling?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.