Please please help me pick my first bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by energyj, Nov 20, 2005.

1. energyj

Nov 20, 2005
    Hello there

Friday is drawing closer, and as soon as I get my paycheck I'm rushing to the store to buy a bass and amp. Ok, perhaps I'll wait until Saturday and consult with you guys! For the last week or so I'm been asking people whats the best bass (in terms of price and durability, and ... how it sounds like too. My budget is $400 (absolute top). And yeah, I know I should get a name brand so I can trade or sell it later! :)

Here are the following bass (the currency is CDN):

Epiphone Embassy Pack (value pack) for $335 + tax Special Player Pack&PID=3165

Or a these Ibanez

I don't really care if its a value package or not ... I can buy a good bass and a cheap amp or something, as low as I get my money's worth. I might get a Yamaha, since it has a reputation for being good and durable.

Anyways, please make some suggestions, because I'm getting the bass and I CAN'T WAIT! *dances*
  2. I'd personally go with the Yamaha...My experience with my RBX170 has been great...

As far as amps...well, thats a hard one on your won't get you much unless you're going used...

do a great deal of searching in the Amp forum...
  3. weeding

May 17, 2005
    A piece of advice: Most amps that come in value packs are by reputation ****e.
  4. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Value packs are usually anything but. Buy your bass and amp separately. If you are looking to spend 400 on a bass you would do better to buy used because you'd have more options. New in that price range you would be looking at Yamaha rb series, Fender Squire or Ibanez gr200 or sr300dx to name a few. It would help if you took along a friend who had experience with bass guitars. Play as many as you can through a smaller less expensive amp. Don't let the sales guy plug in to a $3000 rig because no bass will sound crap through that. Also play each fret and listen to the sustain. That way if there are deadspots on the neck ( where the sustain seems to die quickly) you can try another.

Good luck.
  5. ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Check out the "open letter to all members looking for the best bass," thread. Not so that you can feel belittled, but so that you will understand that there is no best bass, period.

Still, at that price range I would say look at a Squier, or yamaha. My experience is that those are the best in that price range.

As far as Amps go I don't think that you are going to find anything of real value in that price range. I'd put most of my money into the instrument and as little as possible into the amp.

I'd check out the used market for both instrument and amp, before you sink money into something new. You might find a better value that way.

6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  7. +1
    I've had my RBX yamaha for about 9 years. It sounds very similar to a fender passive by the way, which is kinda cool.
    For "BANGS-FOR-YA-BUCKS", the yamaha is my choice.
    I've changed my amp 4 times since then, but still got my yamaha! I've dropped it down stairs, knocked tuning pegs off, bashed it accidently (i'm a bit rough), but it's taken the wear and tear like a man. Still plays like it should.

And definitely go 2nd hand - just make sure you test it out properly.
  8. I would say go with less guitar and put more into the amp. I just sold a like new Peavey milestone and a ampeg 50 watt amp for 210.00 to a friend that is learning bass. With gig bag , strap and cord. Look around I did not give it to him I did not lose but a fue dollars and played the bass for about two years and got the amp at a flea market for 50.00. I played that rig for up to around 100 people a fue times.
  9. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
  10. energyj

Nov 20, 2005
    Ok, I'll take the risk and buy a used Yamaha and a used amp ... I think I'll get a good deal.
  11. wait for your next pay check dude. . . like SERIOUSLY! I rushed into my first bass, got a Hartke SB15 (it comes in a starter pack) for $300, I think the starter pack goes for around $200-$300, so i got RIPPED!!! Get a quality bass the FIRST time. Wait for ur next pay check then put as little money as you can into a small used amp and focus on the bass. thats MY advice!
    GOOD LUCK!!!

12. energyj

Nov 20, 2005
    Ok I decided to buy a used one ... what should I look out for so I don't get ripped off? What parts should I exmaine to see if its in ok condition?
  13. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    The Yamaha is solid choice and used is a good way to go but jump on the Peavey Millennium Standard for 300 US. I think that is still within your budget. Once you have the bass, you can save and try out used amps until you find one that sounds good to your ears. New - you probably have to go about $250-300 US or more for an amp loud enough to compete with a drummer - but there are plenty of choices. Yorkville, a Canadian firm, produces amps with a lot of bang for the loonie.
  14. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Hold on a second, he's is Canada. When you factor in the shipping (if they even ship here, customs duties and other charges) the price will balloon way beyond his budget. I say check Epray and your local websites for a good used Yamaha.
    You can't go far wrong.
  15. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Buy used - I'd MUCH rather have a decent instrument and amp that are used, rather than some cheesy set up just because it's new... For $150 or less, you *should* be able to get a used Fender MIM P bass, or maybe a Hamer Slammer for around $100 - either one will suit you well for a long time... The rest of your money should be able to cover a used Peavey Combo 300 - those 2 pieces will last you a lifetime, and stand up to ANY playing you'll ever throw at them...

I actually prefer to buy used basses, because not only do you save alot of $$$, but you can be relatively sure your neck is all settled in, and your instrument will remain fairly stable from the way you bought it... New instruments typically will have a bit of "break-in" period, in my experience - save a few bucks(and potential grief), and buy used - in your situation, you'll be glad you did... If you have a couple of decent music shops in your area, take the time to tell them what you want, and what you have to spend - and DON'T be in a hurry... Take your time, shop wisely - and most likely you'll make out pretty well...

- georgestrings

- georgestrings