Please, please help.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by punkfunkfreak, Sep 11, 2002.

1. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    Today i discovered a Nigerian woman was recently sentenced to death- for having a child out of wedlock.

Amina Lawal has been sentenced to death by STONING- she is to buried up to her neck in the ground, after which her punishers<br> will surround her and throw rocks at her head until her skull is crushed and she dies a painful and horrible death.:eek:

I'm sure you all feel equal shock and disgust at this sentence, and I want you to know that she has only thirty days to appeal her trial.

Please go to the Amnesty International site, and sign the letter addressed to the President of Nigeria.

It literally takes only a minute, and could help to save her life, as well as help put an end to this kind of cruel and disgraceful judgement in a country that calls itself a democracy.:mad:

thanx alot fellas.
  2. I heard about this last week. Many human rights organisations are going to fight it. Despite it being a ancient form of law, they will probably argue that the world is a modern era or something....

3. I see another woman who had her appeal overturned has been given citizenship of Rome. It's just as well the western world doesn't follow an archaic law like that - if it did the place would be a lot quieter.
  4. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
  5. why do you try to force our culture unto them ?

Don't you see that that kind of behaviour has already brought too much trouble ? ( need i remind today, exactly one year ago ? )

ok, you might not agree with their way of life, but just let it be. it is not up to us to change their culture.

6. It's up, to all of us to make the whole world a better place for everyone. Would you like to be the orphan left to fend for itself after it's mother is stoned to death for commiting a heinous crime against humanity of having a child to someone other than her husband????

Seems to me that even Jesus was not the fruit of Joseph's loins!
  7. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    well, i see your point allodo. I know just what you mean. Its important not to srew with things that we have no part of, especially in a way that disrupts or damages a social standing or lifelong attitude.

But the thing is that this isnt in common circumstances. This isnt a normal punnishment in the area where she lives (thats what was reported, i dont know for sure). She is fighting herself and has asked for help, and its not like were flying in on B-52's to save her ass from oblivion.

Seeing as its merely a letter to the guy in charge i cant see what harm itd do. If he decides to do something about it, then im sure it wouldnt be a pressured decision. If he felt it was ok he could leave it well alone. I just see it as and informing the guy so he can do as he likes with the situation.

then again i could be wrong as this forum often proves...;)
  8. it's the prime directive, not to interfere (sp?) with other cultures.

the woman cheated, so she deserves to be punnished. but on the other hand.. the father of that baby also need punnishment; afterall he put his johnsson in a married woman !

Hey i'm not saying i agree with the form of punnishment applied here, but who am i to tell a judge in a whole different continent that his punnishment is too severe ? that's not up to us, that would be up to the people of Nigeria.

9. AllodoX - sorry to burst your bubble! Star Trek isn't real!!;)
  10. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    It's ideas like this that let Hitler run roughshod over Europe in WWII. Nobody complained until Hitler came for them.

Now, notice, I am attacking the idea, not the person posting the idea. Just an FYI . . .
  11. sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN

I believe that was the prime directive of the starship Enterprise. However, if interference with cultures is verbotten, then we'd better stop sending food and medical aid to countries in need. You see, "culture" is a rather all-encompassing word. It includes religion, laws, agriculture, medicine, technology, ect...To truely embrace this prime directive is to turn our backs regarding every facet of another country.

Furthermore, does not Nigeria, and every country on this planet, belong to a larger world-culture? I would think that if the majority of the planet thought something was "barbaric", that the offending party might want to step in line ( note: that includes some of our own behaviors right here in the good ol' U.S.A. !)

The argument that we should not interfere with Nigeria can trickle down further. Nigeria should not interfere with this couple. The adultery is THEIR problem, not Nigerias. Furthermore, something is inherently wrong with a penalty that

A: requires others to participate in the grisly death of another human being ( the very fact that these people don't say " hey, I don't wanna throw rocks at this gals head!" is both telling and disturbing)

B: Does NOTHING to teach an offender the error of their ways. " did'ja learn yer lesson? Yeah? To bad you're dead, now you can't apply what ya learned! THAT"LL TEACH YA !!!!"

I'm not busting your chops, Allodox. I respect your opinion. I'm just asking you you look a little further beyond the "prime directive" line of thought.

Soooo, are there any bassists from Nigeria?
  12. why do people always think of star trek when you mention the prime directive ?
  13. on the other hand.. it's also interfering with another culture that caused the WTC to fall..

brrr.. nevermind.. let's just call it even before it turns into a flame war, 'k ?
  14. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Can you point to any other popular use of the phrase "prime directive"?

I don't believe I've heard it in any other context. Although it sounds like it would be a military term.

Anyway, Allodox, what do you think of when you hear "prime directive"? In what frame of reference did you mean to use this phrase in?

Inquiring minds want to know . . .
  15. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I'm definitely not here to get into a flame war, and I'll admit that I was incensed when I responded to your post. I am by no means inferring, implying or in any way suggesting the US is blameless at all. I'm just trying to say that turning our back on the problem and hoping it goes away won't solve the issue.

Peace now?
  16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I agree.
  17. Ok.. lets put it on a story then..

imagine you're at sea with your boat, and you stuble upon a group of islands. On these 5 islands are 5 different tribes. the tribes have lived in peace and harmony for centuries, without any form of deceases. Neither of the tribes have established a modern civilisation, and live the same way they did about 2600 years ago.

You decide to make contact with them, the people admire you because you have blonde hair and a very pale skin. you show them some photo's of your farm in America, where you have a huge shidload of crops and a big chevvy that does 2 miles per gallon.

The people of the tribe say " wow.. that's cool ! we've never seen stuff like that.. we always worked very hard to get our food ". so you show them how to get more crops with less work.

But what happens now ? one of your crewmembers had fever before you landed on the beach of this island.. the rats, carrying stuff like the plague, aboard your ship have also reached the island.
    all of a sudden the people of this primitive culture know deceases.

The people of the neighbour island grow jealous.. why do you help the people on the 1st island more than you help them ? they decide to steal the food of the 1st island. and after a couple of months there comes war between the 2 islands. people of the other 3 islands get agitated by the war, and consider you to be the source of all this evil, that must be eliminated. so they start doing terrorist attacks on your boat..

at this moment.. you could ask yourself..

" what if i did not show them those pictures of my farm ? what if i did not help them increase their crops ? would they still be at war ? or would they still live in peace and harmony ? "

ok, ok.. i know.. cute little story.. but now do you understand why the so-called " prime directive " would be usefull ?
  18. i don't really see a problem.. every country has it's own laws and ways of punnishment. some countries give death-penalties for murder, and some countries give death-penalties for cheating...
  19. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    okok, firstly, sorry to start a thread that caused so much ruckuss.

I think allodo does have a valid point.

But seems to be putting it way out of context, as i said before, this punnishment isnt "the norm" where she is, and she is being treated wrongly even by her communities standards. And she didnt cheat, she had sex before marriage.

Also, ill be damned if im going to supress my natural instinct to help someone out just because of a "prime directive". Its not like i dont give a **** about other cultures, just im not gonna let someone die wrongly (and a baby grow up without a mother) to avoid offending anyone.
    Because thats the most damage we can cause by putting a stop to this.

it wont wipe out a species, or cause global war. Itll give a child a mother and a mother her life.

In other situations, like the story about the tribes, this wouldnt be correct, and we should stay away. But in this situation, i dont why i should even have to make a choice. as i said, no prime directive is gonna stop me.

Now, to avoid big flames...why dont we just end this, if ya wanna help out, then sign the petition. If not, then dont. Truth is everyone has different feelings about this type of subject and alot of them will never be changed thru a message board converstation.

lighten up fellas :D

20. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I signed the petition (like it really matters, I'm not going to make the president save this person's life), because I think killing is wrong.

I think that because of (dare I say it) 9/11, people (like me) are a little more emotional right about now.

I hope I didn't destroy your thread.