please please please help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i don't know anyhting about amps. i have 1200 to spend.

i'm thinking i really want a GK 800RB head and a GK 1x15 RBH cab.

how does the SBX compare to the RBH? the RBH is 400 watts and the SBX is 200. i play medium sized bars. do i need 400watts?

i play funk and groove music so i'm looking to shake butts not cut through and split ears.

i've heard that the RBHs are pricey compared to what you get.

does ampeg make any 1x15s that are more cost effective to the quality. i'll spend 600 on the cab if it is really worth 600.

also i've been reading this amp board a lot to learn more. i'm thinking i'm going to be really confused when i get it after hearing all this amp lingo. i hope i don't blow the thing up.

i sold my old combo. i have practice in a week. PLEASE HELP. :confused:
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Moved to Amps...
  3. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    For $1200 I would get 2ea Aguilar GS112's. I think the GS 112's would be a way better chioce than the GK cabs. You dont need a 115 to put out some booty. A pair of these 112's will do you just fine. I would buy a pre/power setup for your amp. QSC makes a great power amp. PLX or RMX series is what is widely used on this board. As for a preamp, Demeter or Alembic would be my choice. I would opt for the Alembic given your musical style. Below is the cost break down. This way is few bucks more, but I think it is worth it in the long run. I wouldnt go with GK cabs. If your sold on the 800RB, thats cool. Aguilar GS112's are the way to go as far as your cabs are concerned.

2ea Aggie GS112's (used) - $600

Alembic/Demeter preamp (used) - $400

QSC power amp (used) - $400-500