1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PLEASE, PLEASE READ THIS, AND GIVE ME YOUR ULTIMATE ADVICE!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Tangerine, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Tangerine

Tangerine

Mar 17, 2009
    I’ve been playing the bass guitar ever since I was thirteen, but didn’t really get into it until recently (14). I have great determination about what I want to be when I grow up which is either being a session musician or (if lucky) being in a revolutionary band, which I know is what A LOT of people dream about.​
    To make it clear, I’m fourteen and a self-conscious teenage girl, but have high hopes for myself in the near future. I played the piano for five years, starting at the age of seven but had to quit due to money issues in the family. I now play the bass guitar, obviously, having to teach myself, once again, due to money issues. I’m not your typical teen considering the fact that I don’t have a cell phone, MySpace, Facebook, and I prefer vinyl over an iPod any day. I don’t play videogames or watch any television (the most is ten minutes). I also only go on the computer for about 15 minutes until my eyes start watering up.​
    Well, that’s a few facts about me to not make things lead to utter confusion or anything (like thinking I’m a guy or that all I do is play videogames in my spare time). Anyway, I love the bass guitar. When I play it, it gives me that euphoric feeling knowing that one day I’m going to get somewhere with this piece of instrument; playing something that I truly love and that no one can take away. The thing is, is that I have some trouble learning by myself. I know it involves A LOT of perseverance. It’s just sometimes I don’t even feel like playing, and like today, I found myself playing the same thing over and over again. Sorry for the incredibly long post, but I have no one else to talk to about these things; I just hope people wont click the back button right after they see how long this is.​
    I know a lot of musicians self-taught themselves, but didn’t they have assistance with other musicians? It’s terribly difficult finding good ones around today (at least in my vicinity). I apologize that this thread is all jumbled up and sorry for me getting off the point at times, but in conclusion, I just really need assistance. Tell me how long I need to practice to become what I’m determined to be; tell me what to practice and what songs to learn, please. I just really, really need assistance badly. Once again, my parents can’t afford any teacher. ​
    Thank you, once again, for taking your time to read this dull post. Thanks! ;D​

2. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    um huh?

3. Funkadelic Monk

Funkadelic Monk

Jan 3, 2009
    DUDE, I HAVE THE SAME EXACT ISSUE!!! =0

4. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    1) lay off the energy drinks and relax.
    2) Read up on theory. Lots of theory.
    3) Practice.

Repeat.

5. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    LOL

6. Mongo Slade

Mongo Slade Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Northern New Jersey
    Congratulations for finding something beautiful that stirs your passion. You can be whatever you dedicate yourself to be. I understand there's no money for a teacher. But there are books, and recordings at your local library. Listen, read, practice and learn.
    Many pro bassists would volunteer to help you along your way;
    As a matter of fact I put this out there:
    Some of you talk bass members-If this young player is in your area, will you help mentor her?
    Let us know where you are(General info only), and let's see who's out there to help you on your way.
    I find your post inspiring, and I'm sure others will too.
    Let's see what happens..

Peace

7. dreadheadbass

dreadheadbass

Dec 17, 2007
    england
    i often find after slaving away in work all day the last thing i wanna do is pick up the bass and play there are days when practice seems like more of a chore than a form of enjoyment

i got round this by inventing a series or exercises that can be completed in about half an hour they range from streches to scales ok most of them dont sound musical in the slightest but they keep my hands in shape and keep my speed up and prevent the rust from settling as well as keeping my technique up to scratch
    now i get home i pick up the bass and i go through the motions for half an hour then i'm good for the night and if a have a creative mind and i feel like noodling i know i can be as relaxed as i want with it knowing i've already done the wrist aching, finger burning, skin shredding stuff earlyer on and if i dont feel like playing i know i'm not moving backwards through lack of practice

8. Tangerine

Tangerine

Mar 17, 2009
    What's not to comprehend about my post? :confused:

9. REAPER52

REAPER52

Aug 17, 2008
    FL-Central
    Wish i had what you have when i was 14. -Practice - Read everything you can get hold of . Keep playing. you'll get there.

10. Tangerine

Tangerine

Mar 17, 2009
    Thanks, REAPER52! That was assuring. =D

11. basscheez

basscheez

Nov 6, 2008
    Cleveland, Oh
    Congrats on your passion, that's the key to success at anything. Here's my advice:

1) You already know how to read music. Learn TAB and charting. Practice sight reading.
    2) Transcribe your favorite bass parts.
    3) Study theory and songwriting.
    4) Network - if you want to get gigs, studio work, etc., it's who you know and who knows you.
    5) Post questions on Talkbass anytime. Ignore unhelpful responses.
    6) Practice with a purpose.

Good luck!

12. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

Practice every day. (exception made for your day of rest, if any)

Play with other people as much as possible.

Keep everything else in your life in balance too, but don't forget to practice every day. You need food to eat, a roof over your head, and you need to practice.

When you've accumulated 10,000+ hours on the instrument, many of us here at TB will probably have heard your name because of your playing.

13. T40Chump

T40Chump

Jul 12, 2008
    Plano, TX
    +1:bassist:

14. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Yeah, I'll just say what I've said in other threads like this. There is an oft-quoted figure in the classical world of 10,000 hours of practice required for virtuosity - true proficiency - on any given instrument. This is 3-4 hours of incredibly focused and regimented practice every day without exception for 10 years straight. Dicking around for any part of those 3-4 hours doesn't count. Think you've got it in you?

15. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    There are a lot of good instructional books/videos out there get a couple and work on them diligently. Find out if your school has a music program and if so do they do ensembles. It would probably be a lot of jazz, but that's not a bad thing to learn a bit of. Find other musicians in your school and start a garage band. At your age it may never get out of the garage but it will teach you how to play with other musicians, which is an invaluable skill and working on songs is often a great motivator to practice. You mention preferring to listen to vinyl over I-pod. What genres of music do you find yourself most drawn to? Work on picking out bass lines from recordings, it develops the ear.

Good luck in your journey.

16. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Its late now, but when I get I home from school tomorrow Ill send you a list of threads to look over. I have some in mind.

You have a great dream, one that all teen members of TB dream of. We are all in for the ride. Learn your scales, simple positions, etc.

YouTube is your friend! Google is your friend!

17. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    I agree with some of the stuff said already [i.e. serious posts].

To add.

Listen! Play along with everything, learn how to pick stuff up by ear. The more you do this the better you will get. Just start with finding a note that matches then another and so on.

Oh and please learn to use your return key, that is why you got the odd comments, paragraphs are your friend.

18. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    YES! TB is the home of sarcasm. This thread has shown some already.

19. Tangerine

Tangerine

Mar 17, 2009
    Eh, I'm use to sarcasm and ignorance so it doesn't bother me. Ignorance is an ugly thing. ;] Thank you for those who are helping out, I appreciate it completely!

20. 1. Find people to jam with
    2. Learn tunes by ear
    3. Practice everyday, find a warm up routine as a start and add to that as you grow

Also, if you do number 1, you can find a bassist who can give you advice on technique and show you stuff. Start networking now.