1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please, please recommend me a tuner...

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG] - NEW!' started by Tim de Martino, Feb 14, 2020 at 5:40 PM.

Tags:
  1. I've had a number of tuners, pedal based, clip on, handheld, within fx units etc...

My problem is that although the clip on ones are convenient, they break or get lost - mainly break. I've had several Snarks and a Petersen that all broke(Peterson... 100 bucks I will never spend again). The little neck seems to be the weakest point. they also seem to suck up th batteries which doesn't impress the greenie in me.

Pedal tuners are robust but not convenient across all my instruments, especially acoustic ones, and always having to plug in is a nuisance. Obviously the same goes for tuners within effect units - great if I'm gigging or using the unit anyway, but not convenient otherwise.

Handheld ones are good for plugging in but lousy for a noisy room when trying to use the inbuilt mic.

The handiest so far has been the Boss app within my smart phone but have just gone to a dumb Nokia because I can't seem to stop looking at my browser and facebook when I have a minute to spare - a common problem it seems.

Yes I am being picky and should just suck it up and adapt to a few different methods but maybe there is a robust (metal?) clip on that I can use for everything or a pedal tuner that has a mic as good as the phone one or just buy an old Boss with the needle and put up with it.

Please help :)

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    You sound like a good candidate for a good ol' tuning fork.............. :D

If clip-ons, pedals, and handhelds don't do it for you, the only thing left are rackmounts (I think). ;)

Goatrope, Slater, JRA and 4 others like this.
  3. Playbyear

Playbyear

Nov 20, 2019
    MA
    The newer clip-on Snark has better neck design (stubby, no gooseneck, redesigned due the neck breaking issue)

A rechargeable Snark would be a good thing.

There are of course, a few rechargeable clip on tuners on the market, but I haven’t owned one...yet.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 6:43 PM
  4. Can you imagine, my nice little AI Focus head, PJB C8, headless bass and........ rack tuner!

I would love it if a tuning fork could cut the mustard.

Jeff Scott likes this.
  5. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I use a Korg clip on. So far it's worked quite well and hasn't broken. It's about 3 yrs old.
    On my pedal board I have a Korg Pitchblack. I like it because I can read it easily n bright sunlight.
    And in my racked amp I have Korg rack tuner. I like the blue sweep to a green lock on. easy to see from across a stage.

So it's Korg all the way for me. No complaints.

Jeff Scott likes this.
  6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    :) LOL... that was my thought too.

Or invent something :).

I know you said pedals and effects weren't your thing, but for anyone else reading this thread - the best tuner I've ever owned is in the ZOOM B1 Four. I used a Pitchblack before that, which cost just as much or more, and wasn't nearly as quick, steady or accurate. I got used to the Korg thinking it was just nature of bass tuning, but i can't tell you how happy I am now with the ZOOM. Its thin, small, light, super easy to see. Oh yeah... it comes with a bunch of great effects too, and easy access EQ. I absolutely love this thing. And its only $80.

zoom-b1-four-bass-multi-effects-pedal-818433.jpg

And no. I don't work for Zoom :).

7. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    I do like my Stroboflip, but my other tuners are Korg (DT-7, and DTR-1).

Tim de Martino likes this.
  8. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Can't comment on the rest of your gear, but I did use my Walter Woods amp most of the time in a rack. :thumbsup:

WW Amp In Rack 1200-01.jpg

P_Robyn likes this.
  9. Thanks for your suggestion. Just to clarify, I do use lots of effects (nice pedal board, BOSS sy-1000/GP-10, MOD Duo, blah blah..) but was looking for something that I can use for many instruments that I dont necessarily have to plug into. I play upright and acoustic guitar as well as electric instruments (Stick, electric bass, el guitar, guitar synth etc...).

I use the Zoom MS60 already which has a good tuner and a whole lot more.

There is a rechargeable clip on but it doesnt look particularly robust. Perhaps, as usual, there just isn't the product that I'm looking for. I normally have fairly specific needs and am used to finding work arounds.

Thanks for the input folks, keep em coming!

Joe Nerve likes this.
  10. Nice amp but too big to carry on the bus!

11. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Gold Supporting Member

I use one of these:

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fsc1.musik-produktiv.com%2Fpic-010087448l%2Fpeterson-stroboplus-hd.jpg

12. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    My vote is tuning fork and ear. Just remember there will be a learning curve where it seems harder and more inconvenient.

For me, after a week or two, it became much easier. I prefer to tune to harmonics but there are a lot of different systems. It makes switching to scordaturas feel easy.

On my acoustic guitar I am learning Capricho Arabe by Francisco Tarrega which is in D minor and D major tuned drop D while learning Estudio 7 by Heitor Villa-Lobos which is in E major. When I used a tuner, I would avoid switching between the two, preferring to set up my practice to only play in one tuning. For the most part, I can now hear when the intervals are in tune which means switching takes like 3 to 5 seconds.

13. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Well. Lithium batteries are being recycled consistently now so that's a comfort. I'm happy with Korg's little clip-on, the PC-1. Use it sparingly and the battery life's not bad at all. Making sure to immediately switch it off also helps extend the battery's life :) When the big guns come out it's the ST 200 that I favor. But the PC-1's cool McCool. No Hassles.

14. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    I use a TC Unitune on both my basses.
    And I put it on my bridge saddles.

I get a better vibration transfer of the low B string.
    Without striking the B harmonic.
    IMG_0152.jpg

Tim de Martino and JRA like this.
  15. Oooh yes, I'm thinking it's this man for the win! Nice price..ouch. Better start saving. I like Peterson stuff, I just wish the Stroboclip had been more robustly designed.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 2:55 PM
    1bassplayinfool and Tom Bomb like this.
  16. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Boss TU12 with an extension clip: very accurate and convenient, too. I have three or four...

Full disclosure: as a luthier and part-time employee at a big music store, I have tried all the tuners. All the cheap clipons are +/-3 cents which is not really accurate enough: the Peterson software suite that I have in my laptop is the most accurate but its total overkill for live or even studio application at 1/100th of a cent.
    The Boss is +/-1 cent - and is adjustable, too.

17. Playbyear

Playbyear

Nov 20, 2019
    MA
    That one is nice and is rechargeable.

The Peterson stroboclip looks like a good clip on, but is not rechargeable.
    Its stated to go down to 16HZ and have 1/10 cent accuracy.
    2A38D983-7C0A-4453-BA2C-B71F8558F75A.jpeg

18. Playbyear

Playbyear

Nov 20, 2019
    MA
    The stroboclip head broke off or?

19. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    TC Electronic Polytune, pedal or clip-on. Large bright display, very good build quality, and the clip-on has a metal clip, without those silly little swivel joints that break all the time.

Petethebassman likes this.
  20. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    I guess the PC-1 isn't a 'cheap clipon.' I got mine as case candy so I don't know. It's the only weeny one I've ever had and it's getting on a bit, verging on four or five years old :)