Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

please recomend me cool sounding effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by stinkyrypoo, Jul 5, 2002.

1. stinkyrypoo

stinkyrypoo Guest

Jul 1, 2002
    north florida, USA
    please recomened me some cool sounding effects, whether pedals or rack mountables. I have a bass pod right now, (not real satisfied, but i havent really made up any cool effects on it) so i feel i need to get something. Im thinking about a cool wah, maybe a synth or compressor, whatever sounds cool. i have the money, please recomened me some stuff. thanks alot!!

2. well since you already have a bass pod right now, id use that to see what effects you like the best and then go and try single units of those favorite sounds...

3. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    I agree with Geddy, but if you want, this is sweet, and cheap.

4. if you want cheap with lots of effects, get a Zoom. i got a 506, and its sweet. they also just released a 607, which is a suped up 506 with a wah-wah pedal on it. gonna look into gettin me one.

5. My favourite effect is when I stop playing, stand back and watch as the entire band crashes and burns around me.

6. stinkyrypoo

stinkyrypoo Guest

Jul 1, 2002
    north florida, USA
    nice, im gonna try it!

7. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Hey Stinkster,it would probably help us all out if we knew what kind of style you're playing,and what you want the effect for...it's kinda hard to recommend a generic effect...chorus/flange is about the only universal one I can think of...compression maybe,but to me that's not an "effect" per se depending on how you use it.....Do you want the effects for grooving...for soloing?....there's a ton of stuff out there

8. There's always the Roland V-bass synth system, but it does mean mounting the pickup on a bass somewhat permanently. MIM Jazz or the Mark Hoppus special P have lots ov acreage for the synth's on-board controls.

9. stinkyrypoo

stinkyrypoo Guest

Jul 1, 2002
    north florida, USA
    I play really anything, my band is punk and i want to throw in some cool solos w/ some effects. I just want some cool effects for just messin around with or maybe to throw in a song or two.

10. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Hmmmmm,try this chain: Octave divider > Envelope filter > Overdrive/distortion > Flange > Chorus....this gives you a wide range of effects to choose from, you can use any of them separate, or in any combo....For example, Octave + Distortion + Chorus will give you a decent Synth sound (throw in the Envelope for a real old school Moog sound)....Flange + Chorus will give you a thick modulated sound....the key is to experiment with each pedal one at a time to get familiar with it, and the various sounds that it wil produce...you'll probably suprised at the wide variety of sounds you can get from just one.....WARNING: Having effects boxes between your bass and amp WILL negatively affect your straight tone,even when the boxes are turned off....the more pedals you add,the worse it gets,so don't go crazy with hooking up a million pedals....I limit myself to 3 (different ones for different gigs)...hope this helped

11. stinkyrypoo

stinkyrypoo Guest

Jul 1, 2002
    north florida, USA
  12. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Get an Electro-Harmonix Bassballs. It's a simple effect -- a knob to control envelope filter intensity and switch to add or remove distortion -- but I think it would do the trick. You can get them for $50-$100 bucks easy.

13. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Running pedals through a loop is not a good idea, because of impedance and level problems. Pedals generally operate at a -20db level. Most effect loops (in amp heads anyway) operate at -10db. Pedals are designed for a bass level signal, not post-preamp. Even active electronics are sometimes too hot of a signal for them to handle. If you want to use effects through the loop, use a rack-mount multi-effect (make sure it's set for -10db, if it's switchable. You could also look at some of the floor based multi-effects. My Boss GT-6B is -10db, so I run it in the loop. Keep the stomp boxes in front of the amp, and I think you'll be happy.

14. In my opinion there are three basic groups of effects:
    Dynamics (eq, filters, pitch shifting, octavers, etc.)
    Signal Clipping/Limiting (overdrive, distortion, compression, gating, etc.)
    Modulation (chorus, flanger, phaser, reverb, delay, etc.)

All you have to do is figure out what group you feel you would use more, some people don't really have a use for dynamic effects. But I would deffinately recommend an envelope controled filter to anyone, I love the way they can sound. Really the wierdness personified. Most contemporary players could find more use for modulation effects, especially bass players in smaller bands. Churus and other delay effects are useful for filling in a really deep pockets in a song... Distortion is always fun for pissing off the guitarist and the drummer, but if you lack aggression or bite in your sound an overdrive can be cool for adding in some dirt or boost the top end of your amp.

15. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here
    the danelectro reverse delay is kinda neat

16. When punking a Whammy pedal could be usefull. It adds a tone to the original tone. The distance between the tones are controlled by the pedal.

17. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    ahh, but the harmonizer is but one function of the whammy pedal.

it can also do "dive bombs" or variations thereof (listen to the bridge of "schism"). and it can do the opposite: make your notes raise in pitch.

it's a pretty versatile pitch shifter, it is.

but it's much easier to use it distastefully than tastefully.

18. DO NOT i repeat DO NOT buy a digitech whammy unless you get your hands on an ORIGINAL! trust me. The newer ones are total crap that knock you completely out of tune, the harmonies ARE NOT in harmony, the pitch shifting is inacurate, there is a lot of delay in the effect, and it all around just destroys your sound.
    I have been searching like CRAZY for a good quality pitch shifter/harmonizer and have yet to find anything good.

19. IVL here in Victoria told me just the other week about how bad the Digitech re-issue boxes are. Only the originals were made by them, the new ones (INCLUDING the bass whammy) are all ****e and just knock-offs w/o the original chip.

20. stinkyrypoo

stinkyrypoo Guest

Jul 1, 2002
    north florida, USA
    hos is the new boss syb synth?