Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

please recommend a bass and amp

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TylerDurden, Aug 13, 2004.

1. TylerDurden

TylerDurden

Aug 13, 2004
    Forgivuness prease, I know there are many such requests. I did some searching, but didn't find anything satisfactorily close to what I was looking for, and found many things I'll learn in time I'm sure, but which are cryptic to me at the present.

I play guitar and want to learn bass to educate myself further about music. To this end, I want to purchase a bass guitar and amp, and would like recommendations based on my needs/wants.

I'm learning, so obviously my output will not benefit from the traits that distinguish a top-of-the-line bass from gear in leagues south of that. So I don't want to shell out a ton of cash for the best there is.

On the other hand, I entertain the idea of gigging in small clubs and such eventually, and would rather not re-invest at that point, so I don't really want a "training" grade bass, either. Basically, I want gear that will grow with me, but won't break the bank in the meantime.

I also entertain the idea of spooling the output to my M-Audio revolution card and recording it on a PC, if this affects the recommendation at all.

I'm thinking somewhere in the 500-1000 dollar range for the bass, and maybe 500 or so for the amp. Compelling arguments could probably encourage me to punish the wallet further.

If you were to ask what kind of sound I'd like to emulate, I'd say Pink Floyd. I would in general like to remain in the neighborhood of classic rock, with the capability to mess around with some blues like Taj Mahal and Ry Cooder without it sounding dramatically off.

Thanks very much, gang.

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I'd suggest a relatively inexpensive bass, till you're sure you want to continue with it. Maybe a Yamaha, or even a Squier, something like that. Same for the amp. Five hundred bucks might get you an SWR Workingman, which is great for practice and decent for small gigs. If you really start gigging and playing the bass in clubs a lot, you'll probably need more power at some point, but you can always add an external power amp if the need arises. Some of the tiltback amps are pretty good too, Backlines and that kind of thing. They'll give you a nice tight sound with a pretty compact setup.

3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    nonsqtr has given you pretty good advice. I would suggest a Fender MIM Precision or Jazz. Excellent for starting and great to grow with. I would also suggest Peavey. They make very good amps and basses at excellent prices. For the bass I would suggest either a Peavey Fury QT or Peavey Millennium AC. Almost any of their combo amps would be a good investment.

The most important thing is to get to a store, try everything you can and then let your hands, ears and heart decide the direction you need to take.

Dan

4. As a guitarist going to bass you will find an easier transition playing a bass with a "J style" neck that is 1.5" wide at the nut vs. the P style neck that is slightly over 1.6" wide.
    I like basses that have both the J and P pickups.
    My Fender Zone bass has a J style neck..much lighter than a typical P bass or J for that matter...has 3 band active equalizer.
    Love it as my nick implies.

Gary :bassist:

5. TylerDurden

TylerDurden

Aug 13, 2004
    ...for the feedback so far. I found the "Gear Reviews" section and noted that there were quite a few reviews that were very vocal about the Ernie Ball Stingray. I took one bass lesson some months ago and the instructor recommended an Ernie Ball, so there seems to be quite a bit of endorsement for it. Would this type of bass noticeably conflict with my desired sound/genre (e.g. Floyd)?

6. The guy in Pink Floyd usually played a Fender Precision.

7. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I would recommend an Fender American Standard Jazz or Precision bass through an Ampeg B-100R. It will give you the old school tones you are looking for. The Musicman Stingray is an excellent active bass. I have one and like it's unique tone, but they are over your budget price.

8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    TylerDurden... as in alienaa.com tyler durden?

9. I'd suggest a Fender Jazz bass, either a Mexican "standard" model or an American one. I'd suggest the American one but the standard can save you money and a good one could be comparable to an American one. For amps, Ampeg does it right, and I'd suggest either a B-50R or a B-100R. Good sounding combos.

10. Id say get Fender P standard or a epi EB3 and a 50 watt amp.

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'll go against the grain and suggest a Fender Geddy Lee. They're (relatively) cheap, and fall right in your price bracket. You can upgrade the electronics as time (and your ability) grows, and it'll serve you well the whole time.

12. TylerDurden

TylerDurden

Aug 13, 2004
    ...but not the same TylerDurden. Just a big fan of the movie, and a big fan of the idea of "alter-egos" on message boards.

Any advice on a 5-string bass vs. a standard 4 string? I personally can't see any reason it would be technically different, but you never know. Would a 5-string Stingray be of lower quality than a 4-string? Sound different?

13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Lower quality? Definitely not... nor would it be higher.

It will sound different... Your lowest note will be a B instead of an E, so you have more range...

5 strings and 4's are completely different animals, imho.

14. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    You could always go the spector route, I picked mine up for 600, but I don't think they make the rebop 5 anymore.. Any spector should work though, they are great bass's. Built to last, and killer tone.