Please recommend a bass octave pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tihi, Apr 2, 2005.

1. I was thinking, perhaps: MXR bass octave, or boss oc-3, or something else???

I play on jazz bass, and stingray
    Opinions and recommendations?

2. EBS OctaBass (beautiful tracking)
    Boss OC-3 (more versatile - o/d, poly, but a little bit less consistent than the EBS)
  3. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    digitech bass synth/wah- possibly the best tracking around tracking but you can't alter the volume of the octaved note.
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yes you can, the third knob (can't remember the label) adjusts the volume of the octaved note
  5. how 'bout the Boss OC-2?

haven't tried the others, but it works just fine, and many pros use it :bassist:
  6. I can vouch for the bass synth wah. Best octaver out there for under $100. Plus the synth features arn't bad for some wonky sounds.
  7. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Uhm..octave up or octave down?
  8. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    OC-3 for me. I preferred it to the EBS (best tracking, way more versatile (the poly mode is awesome).
  9. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Is it just me but no matter what you set the EBS on if you play low notes it sounds like crap?!?
  10. Do you mean past the low G? Because that seems to be the effective limit of it.
    Mine sounds best on the E and A String, especially after the B. I guess that's what you're talking about, though I wouldn;t categorize it as crap.
    I've found I get the best results with the mode turned to high, the Normal turned to at least 3 o'clock and the Octave between 9 and 12 o'clock. It gets a good growl going that way for me.

11. Is there an octave up pedal?
  12. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yes, there is. There are pedals that do both too.

13. Well, I know the sound wouldn't necessarily be the same, but if you have a 5 string bass, and one of these pedals, doesn't that kinda like having a 'pseudo' 10 string bass?
  14. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI

A hich C Might track with an octave up pedal - POG, Whammy?? But good luck finding a pedal that can produce an octave down from a low B (and who would really want or need that, or have speakers to reproduce that).
  15. Definitely talking about an Octave Up pedal, not down. Too low of frequencies I'd think. But an Octave Up pedal, you could push on at certain times of a solo to get up into the higher notes that one would have on a 10+ String bass. Right?
  16. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Not even close. Octave pedals add a really interesting sound, but it is not the same as having octave strings. BTW, this is my favorite octaver:

17. One of my guitarist/rowing friends is going to be gigging some John Butler Trio covers in a little while, and was talking to me about a "12-string effect" that he was looking for, which would add other harmonics to his sound. I remember thinking "What the hell? Is he talking about an octaver?"

18. Vanman

Nov 14, 2004
    San Francisco
    I've used a boss octaver for years and am happy with it. As was mentioned on earlier posts there are problems in the lower register but that has more to do with the overall problem of tracking from low frequencies. Bass guitar synths have the same problem. The lower the fundamental note (lower frequecies),the less the vibrations per second to sample from, ergo... slower tracking and crappier sound. Same problem whether your trying to double up or down. but the boss octaver is nice (doesn't go up, just down)...

The "12 string effect" you're asking about is a 12 string bass tuned EADG but with 2 guitar strings doubling with each bass string ... ya get three strings simultaneously a la Cheap Trick. Hard to get with pitch shifters and octavers partly 'cause of the tracking problems
  19. N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK

I know what he means - it's more the issue of, if you wish to drop in a note which the pedal can't handle it sounds dreadful, whereas some others (such as the built-in Ashdown sub-harmoniser) don't glitch very audibly and ruin the sound.

I had to settle for an EBS as it's the best of a bad bunch - I've been told by ashdown twice in the last three years that they'd release their sub-harmoniser in pedal format but they're full of it.